Recipe for Queso Dip Dairy Free – For many people (including us), making the switch to a clean diet means cutting the dairy. But this most certainly does not mean you should be giving up any of your favorite foods! If you’ve ever wanted a Recipe for Queso Dip Dairy Free, this is the post for you!
This Dairy-Free Queso is thick, creamy, and oh-so cheesy. It makes for the perfect appetizer, snack, or is even delicious drizzled over a bed of nachos. Its so good, you’ll forget you’re eating healthy! This Queso is paleo, Whole30, and can easily be modified for a vegan diet. Let’s go!
The Issue with Dairy
Before writing an entire post on Dairy Free Queso, I thought I should explain the reasons why I choose a dairy free diet. Giving up dairy has completely transformed my health, and is on the list of foods that I never plan to reintroduce for some pretty good reasons.
#1: Dairy Can be Inflammatory
Alongside gluten and refined sugar, based upon research and studies, I believe dairy to be one of the most inflammatory foods out there. A large percentage of people (including myself) react poorly to the sugar and proteins in dairy, triggering gut issues, and an inflammatory response that can be damaging to the body.
#2: Dairy May Disrupt Hormones
Due to the natural presence of cow hormones in dairy, humans risk altering and imbalancing their own hormones by consuming dairy. With so many unavoidable environmental endocrine disruptors out there, I try my very best to avoid hormone disrupting foods and products where I can.
#3: There’s Simply No Need for Dairy
Finally, there’s just no need for dairy these days! With so many amazing readily available dairy-free alternatives these days, giving up dairy isn’t nearly the big deal it use to be. From tasty dairy-free cheeses, to plant-based milks, and even very convincing butter alternatives, there’s simply no need for enduring the negative effects of dairy with endless delicious and healthy alternatives out there.
Upon giving up dairy, I saw a drastic improvement in my gut health, acne, and joint pain.
Recipe for Queso Dip Dairy Free
Growing up, Mexican food was my absolute favorite cuisine (although a close tie with pizza). I loved quesadillas, taquitos, loaded nachos…you name it! Of course, these were all drowned or dipped in thick, creamy queso.
When I first gave up gluten for my stomach problems, it was no big deal! I went gluten-free at a time where restaurants and food companies were finally starting to see the demand and market for gluten-free options, and were readily adhering to the challenge. However, giving up dairy was a whole different story…
While there are a rapidly growing number of delicious dairy-free options nowadays, this wasn’t always the case. When I went dairy-free, cheese options that fit this type of diet were not only limited, but they all tasted like greasy plastic, and left me feeling worse than if I just continued eating dairy! So, I went to the drawing board, and decided to begin making my own dairy-free cheeses.
How to Make Queso Dairy-Free!
Like mentioned above, when I first went dairy-free, options were majorly limited. Because of this, I decided to start experimenting with my own homemade recipes! And while I made some pretty tasty queso recipes along the way, they were always just a tad bit off. Whether they were too watery, not cheesy enough, or just didn’t taste like queso, there was always something missing…until I created this recipe!
This dairy-free queso is different from the rest. Its creamy, thick, cheesy, and delicious, all while using minimal ingredients! I love its “scoopability”, hint of mild spice, and the way it keeps me full due to its high protein content.
Let’s get into the ingredients!
Ingredients for Dairy Free Queso
The ingredients in this Recipe for Queso Dip Dairy Free are surprisingly simple, and easy to source. If you’re trying to go dairy-free, or are already following a dairy-free diet, these ingredients are staples you’ll want to have for future recipes!
- Cashews: This recipe calls for a tiny bit of chicken broth in order to thin out the texture, and give the queso an extra burst of flavor. For those choosing a vegan or vegetarian diet, try a “no chicken” broth option!
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast is like a vegan dream! The flavor is very similar to cheese, and makes amazing sauces and dips!
- Diced Tomatoes with Jalepenos and Cilantro: You can absolutely buy all of these ingredients separately, but I listed them together since they’re often sold as a trio in a can. These ingredients give this queso its fresh flavor, and mild spice.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice simply helps to neutralize the flavor of the queso, and also adds to that fresh taste.
- Himalayan Pink Salt: Just a little bit of Himalayan pink salt finishes this dip off, and makes it so savory!
Ways to Enjoy Recipe for Queso Dairy Free
This Recipe for Queso Dairy Free is perfect for keeping in your fridge and grabbing whenever you need a protein-rich, cheesy snack! Here are a few of my favorite ways to use it…
Corn Tortilla Chips Homemade: Queso is the perfect dip for clean, Homemade Tortilla Chips! This is a sure way to satisfy that salty craving.
Refried Pinto Beans Recipe: Refried Beans Dip is easy it is to make, incredibly delicious and authentic-tasting. This perfect dip is perfect for a snack or meal. Combine with Dairy Free Queso for even more flavor!
Black Bean and Corn Salad: Black Bean and Corn Salad – I can’t say enough about how deliciously perfect this Black Bean and Corn Salad recipe came together. Drizzle with Queso for a cheesy addition!
Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken: Looking for a way to spruce up your taco night? You‘re definitely going to want to try this Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken! Add some queso for a dairy-free cheese option!
Enchiladas Casserole: We love eating clean and nutritious food, but the word “cuisine” in our name means that it must also taste good. For us, this means adding a little heat to our dishes, especially when they are Mexican-inspired. Try these Enchiladas with queso!
And that’s seriously it! That’s all you need to make a delicious, dairy-free queso everyone will love! Now, let’s get into the recipe!
Recipe for Queso Dip Dairy Free
This Recipe for Queso Dip Dairy Free is thick, creamy, and oh-so cheesy. It makes for the perfect appetizer, snack, or is even delicious drizzled over a bed of nachos.
- Prep Time: 5 min.
- Cook Time: 10 min.
- Total Time: 15 min.
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 10 oz can of tomatoes, jalepenos, and cilantro, or add separately to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, plus more to taste
- Begin by soaking 2 cups of cashews in water (enough to cover) overnight. As an alternative, speed soak cashews (see notes).
- Once cashews have soaked, rinse, and place in a high speed blender with chicken stock. Blend until smooth. (Add 1/4 cup extra liquid at a time until desired texture is achieved).
- Place cashew sauce mixture into a saucepan, and place on a medium/low heat.
- Add in nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Add in tomatoes, jalepenos, and cilantro. Stir until well distrubuted.
- Serve with your favorite chips, and enjoy!
Last Step! If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Speed soak your cashews by bringing a pot of water to a rolling boil, removing from heat, adding cashews, covering, and allowing to sit for around 20-30 minutes.