Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken – Looking for a way to spruce up your taco night? You‘re definitely going to want to try this Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken! Loaded with authentic, fresh ingredients, this Street Tacos recipe is one that really stands out from the rest.
The best part? This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for left overs, or meal prep for throughout the week. Gluten and dairy-free, this recipe is a great anti-inflammatory option for you those maintaining a clean and healthy diet. Ready for all the details? Let’s get into them!
Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken
In my house, Taco Tuesday is a must, and something we look forward to every single week. Up to this point, I had been filling my tacos with ground turkey, lettuce, guacamole, refried beans, and vegan sour cream. And while my tried-and-true recipe made for delicious tacos, I was getting bored with the recipe each week, and was eager to switch it up. That’s when I got the idea for making my very own street tacos from home!
What are Street Tacos?
Street tacos are simply traditional Mexican tacos that are often (but not always) served out of food trucks. They’re smaller than regular tacos, and are the perfect size for a grab and go meal on the run!
Traditional street tacos are actually nothing fancy at all. Instead, they’re full of minimal, and incredibly fresh ingredients that really make them unique. They are especially different in comparison to our often stuffed full, large tacos many of use are use to enjoying at places like Chipotle.
Street Taco Main Ingredients
Like mentioned above, street tacos are normally dressed with very simple, yet fresh ingredients. And while there’s no rule to exactly what should go on a street taco, here’s what I put on mine:
Corn Tortilla: The most common and traditional shell for a street taco is a corn tortilla! Giving street tacos their authentic taste and simple flavor, and serving a purpose as the perfect hand size for a grab-and-go meal, corn tortillas are a must!
And while it’s not absolutely necessary to double shell, it really helps protect them from breaking, and getting soggy with toppings.
Chicken: Street tacos can use any meat, but most commonly include either steak, or chicken. While grass fed beef is totally fine to enjoy from time-to-time, personally, I find leaner meats much easier to digest. Because of this, I opted for creating my Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken style, and let me tell you, I’m pretty impressed!
Want to know how to source the cleanest meat, far past organic? Click here!
Tomatoes: I absolutely love the ability tomatoes have to freshen up, and add flavor to recipes! The tomatoes in this recipe just felt right, and added a fresh Mexican dish flavor to these tacos.
Red Onion: Pairing perfectly with the tomatoes to create a pico type flavor combo, fresh red onions are some of my favorite veggies for recipes like this!
Avocados: Looking for some added healthy fats, and a creamy, dairy-free flavor? Avocados should be your go-to! Loaded with nutrients and health benefits (click here to learn more), avocados are a great way to make a meal extra filling, and add some creamy texture.
Cilantro: Some people love cilantro, others hate it. I fall into that first group. If you enjoy cilantro as much as aI do, it’s an absolute must for basically any Mexican dish you throw together!
Lime: Lastly, to top off these tacos, I splashed them with a bit of fresh lime. Adding a little citrus flavor to this Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken brought out the flavor even more, and added a bit of welcome tang.
Ready for the full recipe? I promise, it’s super easy and quick. Let’s get into it!
Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken
Looking for a way to spruce up your taco night? You‘re definitely going to want to try this Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- 1 pound pastured skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 organic red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup organic grape tomatoes, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- Cilantro, desired amount for topping, chopped
- Avocado oil, enough to lightly coat skillet
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder, plus more to taste
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- 6–8 corn tortillas, double if you plan on double shelling
- Begin by heating avocado oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Lay out a layer of paper towels, and place as many corn tortillas in avocado oil as you can fit at once.
- Allow to warm or brown to desired level, and flip (I do around 30 seconds on each side).
- Set corn tortillas on paper towels to cool. Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas.
- Next, cut chicken into pieces, and place in skillet on medium/high heat. Stir frequently.
- Right before chicken is finished cooking (around 10-15 minutes), coat in garlic powder, cumin, and Himalayan pink salt. Set aside.
- Dice tomatoes, red onion, avocados, and cilantro.
- Lay corn tortillas on a plate, and begin filling with desired amount of chicken, tomatoes, red onions, and avocados.
- Top with cilantro, and top with fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
Keywords: Recipe for Street Tacos Chicken