I’ve got a new staple recipe for making super satisfying Meat Free Monday dinners: refried pinto beans!
If you have our Clean Cuisine book, you know we are BIG into eating beans over here. Just like my grandfather, who lived to be 97 years old, I make it a point to eat beans every single day. Yes, Every. Single. Day. I would say that next to eating more fruits and vegetables, eating more beans ranks right up there with one of the most important health-enhancing diet habits you could adopt.
Why It’s a Good Idea to Eat More Beans
From the resistant starch to the antioxidants and phytonutrients, the fiber, the super clean plant protein and so much more, beans are a powerhouse of nutrition.
ALL Beans (Including the Refried Pinto Beans!) Promote Gut Health
There is even new research showing the consumption of fiber-rich beans is linked to an increase in short chain fatty acids (1) Short-chain fatty acids are produced by the friendly bacteria in your gut and they play a major role in optimizing health. Research links an increase in short chain fatty acid production to a reduction in inflammatory diseases, type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart disease and other conditions (2).
The Blue Zones consist of five regions in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the U.S. that researchers have identified as having the highest concentrations of centenarians in the world. Blue Zone residents are considered to be the “world’s healthiest people.”
And when it comes to diet, Blue Zone residents are BIG on beans. Just like my grandfather, most centenarians eat beans every day.
So now you not only have LOTS of reasons to eat more beans, but also a super easy, quick and incredibly versatile recipe for clean refried pinto beans to make it all so much easier 😉
Make Delicious Meals & Snacks in Minutes with Refried Pinto Beans
If you can’t think of what to do with your refried pinto beans, here are 8 tasty ideas!
- Make a clean tostada using my Grain Free Tortilla Recipe. Simply spread the refried pinto beans on top of the tortilla, top with a dollop of clean (nut-based) sour cream and sliced avocados.
- Try them in my slow cooker Easy Enchiladas.
- Make a delicious dairy-free 7-Layer Salad Recipe.
- Whip up a Healthy Mexican Casserole.
- Eat them as a side dish with a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Chip dip! Refried pinto beans are the perfect clean chip dip with these homemade tortilla chips.
- Spread them on your toasted bread of choice for a Tex-Mex Crostini. Add some lime juice, cilantro, diced tomato and avocado and you are good to go!
- Make bean burritos. Add some roasted onions. peppers and shredded lettuce. YUM!
A Quick Word About 2 Other Recipes Shown In the Photo….
*** For the Grain Free Tortilla Recipe Click HERE ***
***Avocado Margarita Recipe Will Appear in the Upcoming Clean Cuisine Cookbook—Stay Tuned =)***
Incredibly versatile and so easy to make, this clean recipe for refried pinto beans takes just minutes to prepare.
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) BPA-free pinto beans, drained (do NOT rinse!)
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno (no seeds)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil OR unrefined avocado oil
- Pink Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Cumin, to taste (optional)
1. In a large food processor, combine the beans, garlic, shallot, jalapeno and oil; process until smooth and creamy.
2. Transfer the bean puree to a large heavy skillet and simmer on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and cumin (optional). Serve warm.