We all know that most salsa, guacamole, and hummus (check out our delicious Edamame Hummus HERE) is full of nutrients and deliciously healthy for us. Even 7 Layer Dip can be made the Clean Cuisine way. The problem is never the dip. However, it’s always an issue finding a “clean” chip.
We have searched (and searched!) for a healthy tortilla chip and cannot find one single brand of chips that is 100% “clean”. This is mostly due to the highly refined omega-6 oils used in commercial chips. Even the chips that claim to be stone ground and whole grain are usually fried in pro-inflammatory oils. What’s a lonely, yet delectable, dip to do?
The very best way to get a nutritional crunch with your favorite dip is to make Clean Cuisine’s Homemade Tortilla Chips. Don’t worry…you won’t be standing in your kitchen all day kneading dough, pressing tortillas, and frying them in a deep fryer like they do at some Mexican restaurants. These homemade tortilla chips are semi-homemade and very easy to make. With an oven and a few key products, you’ll be on your way to clean chips and dip in no time!
These tasty Homemade Tortilla Chips:
- are baked (not fried)
- are 100% unrefined and whole grain
- contain no flour
- and…taste DELICIOUS
An Essential Ingredient…
RED PALM OIL
While these chips are definitely healthier for you than store bought brands because they are baked and not fried, they are still scrumptiously crunchy and bursting with flavor, as the recipe does call for a bit of oil to give them a nice crisp. For this, we like to use West African Red Palm Oil by Everyday Cuisine. There are other brands that make this oil, but Everyday Cuisine is definitely a Clean Cuisine favorite. This oil is completely unrefined and is more like a “spread” than an oil. It is also INCREDIBLY rich in antioxidants and beta-carotene: 1 tablespoon contains 420% of daily RDA for vitamin A!! 50% for Vitamin D% AND 50% for vitamin E!! It is an AMAZINGLY nutrient-rich oil!!! It is also more heat-stable than extra virgin olive oil. Just note that– because it is so rich in beta-carotene–it will temporarily stain your hands yellow/orange (but this comes clean with water!).
And…not to worry….if you’re fresh out of West African Red Palm Oil, you may substitute this with Barlean’s Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Now…..on to the recipe…Print
Whole Grain Corn Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the red palm oil and lime juice with a small spoon (Note: because the red palm oil is unrefined it is rather thick and more like a “paste” than an oil).
- Use kitchen shears to cut each tortilla into 8 small triangles (you should have a total 40 triangles when you are finished). Arrange the tortillas on the parchment paper and use your clean hands to rub the palm oil-lime juice mixture onto both sides of every tortilla triangle. Once both sides are oiled, spread the tortilla triangles out on the parchment paper so that they are evenly spaced and not overlapping. Season with salt to taste.
- Bake tortillas for 9 minutes. Remove tortillas from the oven, flip each one over individually, and bake on the other side for 8 more minutes. Remove tortillas from the oven and let cool for at least 8 minutes before you start dipping 😉