Is What They Are NOT Eating!
When people decide to clean up their diets, they automatically start by nixing processed foods, sugar and fried goodies from the menu. It’s a great start, but a far bigger diet mistake is that they are not eating anywhere close to the optimal amount of fruits and vegetables.
One of the most consistent findings in scientific literature is that as fruit and vegetable consumption increase in the diet, chronic disease decreases across the board. And, even better, it is almost impossible to be overweight if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.
More Fruits & Veggies = More Energy + Smaller Waist
It can be difficult to lose pounds or maintain a healthy weight without feeling hungry, if you skimp on fruits and vegetables. In addition, consider that psychologically, it is always a lot easier to ADD food rather than SUBTRACT. Fruits and veggies are super hydrating and energizing and adding more to your menu will work mechanically to take up physical space in the stomach and actually crowd out room for the junk!
More Nutrients = Fewer Food Cravings
Did you know that food cravings are often the result of a nutrient deficiency? Calorie for calorie, fruits and vegetables are the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and eating more of them will do wonders for curbing food cravings.
How Many Fruits & Veggies Do You Need to Eat?
The CDC, the National Cancer Institute, the American Heart Association and the U.S. Department of Agriculture all recommend adults eat 7 to 13 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
5 Easy Tips to Overcome the #1 Biggest Diet Mistake
- Start the day by adding fruit to your breakfast.
- Have a Green Smoothie that combines fruits and veggies everyday (see the Pumpkin Green Smoothie recipe below or check out Simple Green Smoothies for hundreds of Green Smoothie recipes)
- Make a big pot of vegetable soup on Sunday–leftovers will last all week! Have a bowl with lunch or dinner. Veggie soup also makes a great snack and you can even eat it for breakfast. Check out this easy vegetable soup recipe HERE.
- Eat a large salad with either lunch or dinner.
- Supplement with REAL “whole food” fruit and veggie powders. Try adding a spoonful of Barlean’s Greens or Green Vibrance to a glass of water or take a few capsules of Juice Plus+ (Note: Juice Plus+ actually has real clinical research published in mainstream medical journals proving that their fruit and veggie capsules reduce systemic inflammation, decrease oxidative stress, protect DNA from aging, support a healthy immune system, contribute to cardiovascular wellness, improve skin hydration and thickness, improve dental and gum health and much more! Learn more about Juice Plus+ research HERE.)
Here is one woman’s 3 days clean eating diet diary and how she implemented the strategies listed above to learn how to eat more fruits and vegetables.
No more food cravings!
3-Minute Solution to The Biggest Diet Mistake
Pumpkin Green Smoothie
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 handfuls mache lettuce or kale
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup pumpkin (unsweetened (canned or fresh))
- 1 frozen banana
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup ice
- Place all ingredients except for the ice in a high speed blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Add the ice and process again. Drink chilled.