Although a crazy good red cabbage recipe might not be on your list of “must make” dishes, if you are into fish tacos, burgers (either veggie or meat!) or BBQ’s, then this is definitely a recipe you need in your cooking repertoire. I’ve got you covered…
My red cabbage recipe is basically a clean eating style, more visually appealing version of red cabbage coleslaw. Pretty enough to stand alone as a side dish, it’s also tastier than your conventional coleslaw recipe (if I do say so myself!) It’s peppered with just a teeny bit of jalapeno, garlic and cumin, but not so much that it overpowers the dish. And instead of using pro-inflammatory and highly refined store-bought mayo, I make a simple light cashew-cream concoction.
The whole dish takes less than 15 minutes to pull together. And if you are serving fish tacos, veggie burgers, meat burgers or anything BBQ, the red cabbage side dish makes the meal!
Oh, and anything mango would be a great additional flavor to serve along with the red cabbage recipe. For example, if you are doing a fish taco bar, then consider incorporating a fresh chopped mango bowl on the buffet table. Or if you are serving Black Bean Burgers, you could serve them with a mango spritzer (puree frozen mango chunks with a crisp white wine and seltzer.)
Red Cabbage Recipe Health Perks
- Red cabbage is rich in a number of organic sulfur compounds, including diindolylmethane (DIM), indole-3-carbonal (I3C) and sulforaphane, which have been shown to reduce oxidative stress and protect brains cells by inducing the production of glutathione, a potent cellular antioxidant
- Red cabbage also plays a very important role in supporting the body’s natural detoxification process.
- With the exception of vitamin K, red cabbage is a nutritionally superior choice over green cabbage. Red cabbage contains more anthocyanins, double the amount of iron, more potassium, 10 times more Vitamin and more Vitamin C.
And best of all, making red cabbage taste good is super easy! Here’s how…Print
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 small red cabbage (cored and shredded (about 4 cups))
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 1 jalapeno (seeds removed, minced)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Unrefined sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix, add the garlic, lime juice, cashews, cumin and honey. Process until smooth and creamy. Set dressing aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots and jalapeno. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Toss in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Looking for More Clean Eating Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the Red Cabbage Recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.