I love Mexican food, and this Easy Recipe for Chicken Enchiladas makes Mexican dinner night simple! Filled with flavor, and drizzled with the creamiest and most delicious dairy-free cheese, this Enchilada Recipe is one you absolutely cannot miss!
Gluten and dairy-free, and made with real, whole ingredients, you can enjoy this dish without the heavy, yucky feelings other versions may leave you with. Ready to get into the details? Let’s go!
Easy Recipe for Chicken Enchiladas
This dairy and gluten-free Easy Recipe for Chicken Enchiladas is actually incredibly easy! No super fancy, hard-to-find ingredients. Only a couple of simple and easy swaps transform this recipe into a healthy, and allergy-friendly dinner! So what are the swaps?
Swap Wheat Tortillas for Gluten-Free Tortillas: An easy and simple swap with how accessible gluten-free wraps are these days, simply swap out your normal wraps for a gluten free alternative! Our absolute favorite brand is Siete for this soft and bendable wraps that taste like the real thing!
Swap Cheese out for our Dairy-Free Cheese Alternative: First of all, why no real, dairy-based cheese? Trust me, I LOVE LOVE cheese. It’s just that I also know dairy is not exactly a health food. If I can at all get away with not using cheese in a recipe then I will by all means do so. And although it is hard to believe you could make a no-cheese enchilada recipe that is actually worth eating, there’s a secret ingredient that makes it all possible…
The BEST Chicken
Here at Clean Cuisine, we highly value the quality of meat we choose. When it comes to chicken, pasture-raised is the winner every time! Pasture-raised chickens are allowed to roam freely, eating seeds and bugs as they should. This makes for happier birds, higher nutrient content, and much better flavor (in our opinion)!
Pasture Raised Chicken
Pastured chicken is the healthiest choice. It is naturally higher in omega 3’s and antioxidants, healthy fats and much better flavor too!
Dairy-Free Lime Crema
So what exactly is the dairy-free creamy cheese used in this recipe? It’s called Dairy-Free Lime Crema, and it is delicious! So what is Lime Crema? It’s basically a savory cheese-like sauce with a hint of lime and it totally takes the place of cheese in certain Mexican recipes (including Stacked Nachos!). It’s also super easy to make and consists of just five ingredients:
- Raw cashews
- Fresh lime juice
- Unrefined sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Raw honey
All you have to do to make Lime Crema is put all five ingredients in a high speed blender and give it a whirl until you have a smooth and creamy sauce.
Click HERE for the Lime Crema Recipe
Now, if you just can’t stomach the idea of an enchilada without cheese then you can always sprinkle a cup of cheese as the final step on top of the enchiladas just before you pop the whole thing in the oven. I know this works because that’s the way I made it the first go-round. For round two I figured I would test it without the cheese and it truly was just as good!
One thing I promise, whether you go cheese-less or not, this is one Chicken Enchilada Recipe that will not let you down.
And finally, if you are really into enchiladas, here’s another recipe for clean and easy enchiladas that you can actually make in a crock pot!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
Filled with flavor, and drizzled with the creamiest dairy-free cheese, this Enchilada Recipe is one you absolutely cannot miss!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 can, 4 ounces chopped green chiles
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 can, 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- .1/2 cup Dairy Free Lime Crema
- 8 gluten free tortillas
- Optional: 1/2 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 -inch casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onions and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add the chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer; cook about 8 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Combine the chicken and black beans in a medium-sized bowl; add half of the tomato sauce mixture and 1/4 cup of the Dairy Free Lime Crema to the chicken mixture. Toss to combine.
- Place 4 tortillas on a microwave-safe plate; cover with a slightly damp paper towel.
- Microwave on high heat for about 20 seconds, or until warm.
- Working with 1 tortilla at a time, place tortilla on a flat work surface; spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture onto 1 end of tortilla. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, heating up second batch of tortillas when first batch is used up.
- Arrange enchiladas, seam side down, in prepared dish.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over enchiladas.
- Drizzle the Dairy Free Lime Crema on top of the tomato sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.
- Remove enchiladas from the oven and sprinkle cilantro on top if desired.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
Last Step! If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Keywords: Easy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
Friday 28th of October 2022
Simply incredible. My enchiladas didn’t look exactly the the picture (they didn’t look like they had stringy cheese in them or on them). But, the taste was better than any enchilada I’ve had (even with cheese). Well done, even my dairy loving kids loved these enchiladas.
Friday 28th of October 2022
Thank you Olivia -- SO glad your family enjoyed them. For our photos, we used a lot of Lime Crema -- https://cleancuisine.com/stacked-nacho-recipe-with-dairy-free-lime-crema/ -- which is a great dairy free substitute and gives that cheesy taste and look too! ;)