This Dairy Free Healthy Chicken Enchilada Recipe is made with black beans, sprouted whole grain corn tortillas and cashew cream.
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces chopped green chiles (look for these in the ethnic section of your supermarket))
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces tomato sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans,rinsed and drained)
- .1/2 cup Dairy Free Lime Crema (this is a savory lime-flavored cashew cream sauce that takes the place of cheese)
- 8 gluten free or almond flour tortilla, like our favorite from Siete Foods
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 -inch casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onions and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add the chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and saute for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer; cook about 8 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Combine the chicken and black beans in a medium-sized bowl; add half of the tomato sauce mixture and 1/4 cup of the Dairy Free Lime Crema to the chicken mixture. Toss to combine.
- Place 4 tortillas on a microwave-safe plate; cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Microwave on high heat for about 20 seconds, or until warm. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, place tortilla on a flat work surface; spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture onto 1 end of tortilla. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, heating up second batch of tortillas when first batch is used up. Arrange enchiladas, seam side down, in prepared dish.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over enchiladas. Drizzle the Dairy Free Lime Crema on top of the tomato sauce. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly. Remove enchiladas from the oven and sprinkle cilantro on top. Serve warm.