I feel incredibly lucky to have a super close group of girlfriends that I grew up with and that I am still able to keep in touch with and see regularly. Whenever we all get together I feel like I am 13 years old again! It’s funny though, because when I was 13 years old I vividly remember thinking that for sure I would somehow be different when I was all grown up. But really, I’m the same girl inside that I was when I was in 8th grade.
Well, let me rephrase that….my spirit is the same, but my body is not.
When I was 13-years old I could backflip across the high school gym and flip through the air. I could stay up half the night and still be 100% fully functional the next day. And of course I could eat whatever I wanted (ice cream was high on my “like” list) without noticing any negative effects. I can’t do any of those things these days. So time is definitely ticking and my body is not getting any younger (sigh…)
The 20 year reunion was a super fun time, but the fact that it has been 20 years since I graduated from high school has really hit home recently. When I changed my eating habits over 15 years ago at the age of twenty-two (you can read my full story for doing so HERE), I definitely didn’t have anti-aging on my mind. But I sure do now!
Luckily, the anti-inflammatory and phytonutrient-rich “whole foods” diet I adopted in my early twenties did actually have anti-aging “side benefits” that I have only really become hyper aware of in more recent years. But I sure do wish I had a superfood list back in 1998 when I was just starting to learn about nutrition—it would have made things so much easier!
In addition to reducing inflammation, one of the main goals I was trying to accomplish with my diet change in my early twenties was to optimize nutrition. Back then I didn’t know about “superfoods” and I certainly didn’t have any sort of “superfood list”, but I know now that incorporating superfoods into your diet on a daily basis is one the most convenient and effective ways to reduce inflammation and optimize nutrition.
The “side benefits” of adding superfoods to your diet are threefold:
- Reduced risk for degenerative and inflammatory disease
- Slowed aging process
- You will feel AND look better
Let’s face it: maximizing nutrition in today’s rush-rush world is not easy….
Life is a lot different today than it was back in 1998 when I graduated from high school. Day to day life just seems busier, more stressful and rushed. This means optimizing nutrition is not something that will “just happen”….unless you make it a priority.
However, identifying and incorporating key superfoods can help you maximize nutrition and reduce inflammation without spending all day in the grocery, health food store or kitchen.
The “mega nutrition” superfood list included below are some of the world’s most nutrient-dense foods and contain an extraordinarily high number of anti-aging and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients. I can’t think of one single person who would not benefit from eating every single item on the superfood list (this includes my 13-year old son, which is why he eats them too).
The only real problems with the superfood list is that some of the foods on the list are 1) not the tastiest foods on the planet (some don’t taste good at all!), 2) not exactly cheap and 3), not always convenient to eat. But don’t despair! I have a tasty, economical and convenient solution—I will share the solution in just a bit.
But first, let’s go through the “Mega Nutrition” Superfood List…
The Mega Nutrition “Superfood List”:
Superfood #1: Chlorella
- Considered the world’s greatest anti-aging food, chlorella has incredible rejuvenating properties that will not only improve the function of every cell in your body, but also have dramatic effects on the appearance of your skin (specifically against wrinkles.) With an abundance of nucleic acids, chlorella’s powerful anti-aging properties support a healthy body both inside and out.
Superfood #2: Moringa
- India’s traditional natural Ayurvedic medicine currently incorporates moringa leaves in the care of over 300 different diseases. This superfood is especially well-known for combating abnormal cell growth and revitalizing damaged cells.
Superfood #3: Maca
- This is my favorite afternoon coffee alternative! Maca is amazing for providing a clean, sustained energy in addition to helping to regulate hormones, improving memory, combating mood swings and enhancing fertility in both men and women. It is also one of my favorite stress-busting foods.
Superfood #4: Spirulina
- The world’s most nutrient-dense food, spirulina contains extraordinary concentrations of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients. It is also an excellent source of vitamin B12 and contains all essential amino acids in addition to hard-to-get “super fats” such as gamma0-linolenic-acid and essential trace minerals.
Superfood #5: Cacao
- Considered to be the #1 longevity food, cacao is also the best source of magnesium of any food. Cacao is well researched and known to boost brain function, build strong bones, regulate blood pressure, and promote strong hair and nails. It even has the ability to raise the “feel good” neurotransmitter, serotonin, in your brain to boost mood and improve overall sense of well-being (that’s why chocolate is a favorite food among so many people!)
Superfood #6: Wheat Grass
- The ultimate detox food! Wheat grass is well recognized for it’s ability to cleanse the blood, detoxify the liver and neutralize toxic substances such as mercury. It is super rich in chlorophyll and has been shown in studies to rejuvenate cells.
Superfood #7: Camu Camu
- Containing a whopping 600 times more vitamin C than oranges, camu camu has the highest amount of this super anti-aging antioxidant of any botanical source. Camu camu is also incredibly rich in the phytonutrients that support the health and appearance of your skin, hair, nails, tendons and ligaments.
Superfood #8: Acai
- The most antioxidant rich food in the world, acai has a phenomenally high ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value, meaning it can gobble up damaging free radicals faster than just about any other food on the planet. Acai is also bursting with hard-to-get essential fatty acids that promote the health of your central nervous system, immune system, reproductive system and cardiovascular system.
How I Discovered the Superfood List
I sort of stumbled upon my superfood list while doing research on just one of the superfoods, chlorella. Watch the video below to learn more…
An Easy, Economical & Tasty Solution to Eating Every Item on the Superfood List….Every Day
As mentioned above, getting all eight foods on the superfood list is not necessarily cheap, tasty or convenient….unless, you can get them in a powdered “whole food” form to mix in a smoothie, water or your favorite non-dairy milk. Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood (in the photo below) is just that—it is a whole food that combines all eight of the items from the superfood list in raw, organic, powdered form. There are no fillers, additives, preservatives or extra ingredients. And truthfully, having the superfoods in a powdered form that can easily be mixed in a smoothie, water or non-dairy milk is really the only reasonable way to get all eight superfoods into your diet on a daily basis.
Although they come in a “packaged form”, make no mistake, Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood is NOT a “processed food”! It is simply a blend of powdered “whole” superfoods. The ingredients on the Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood label read pure and simple: Organic acai (fruit), Organic cacao (bean), Organic camu camu (fruit), Organic chlorella (cracked cell wall) (whole plant), Organic maca (root), Organic moringa (leaf), Organic spirulina (whole algae), Organic wheat grass (leaf).
In addition to the convenience, Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood costs about 50% less than if you bought each ingredient individually. Another huge benefit of having the superfoods blended together in a powdered form is that some of the less-palatable ones (such as spirulina) get “cancelled out” by the more flavorful ones (such as acai and cacao).
The fact that it is pleasant to drink, economical and convenient makes it so much more likely that you will actually drink it—and benefit!
Where Can You Buy Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood?
My Organic Chocolaty Superfood Smoothie Recipe Made with Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood
If you watch my video above, you’ll see you can easily stir a scoop full of “Mega Nutrition Organic Superfood” into any liquid—such as water, hemp milk or almond milk. Although Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood is loaded with nutrients, it is actually very low in calories (only 20 calories per scoop), so it is not to be used as a meal replacement or anything like that. Instead, think of it as a nutritional “booster”, which is how I use it in my Organic Superfood Smoothie recipe below. (Note: I also like to have it in the afternoon as a little “pick me up” instead of a cup of coffee.)Print
Organic Chocolaty Superfood Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 frozen organic banana
- 3 large frozen organic strawberries
- 2 tablespoons organic hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoonsorganic cacao powder
- 5 organic prunes
- 1 tablespoonsorganic cacao nibs
- 1 handful organic mache lettuce (or organic baby spinach leaves)
- 1 scoop (use scoop provided in container Mega Nutrition Organic Superfood)
- 3/4 cup ice
- Place all ingredients, except for the ice, in a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) and process until smooth and creamy. Add the ice and process again until cold and creamy. Serve ice cold.
If you try Mega-Nutrition Organic Superfood please be sure to let me know what you think by leaving a comment below….