Black Refried Beans Recipe – Skip buying canned black refried beans and try this simple, quick and easy recipe instead. With just a few fresh ingredients paired with organic black beans, your food processor is going to make the best black refried beans recipe you’ve ever tasted.
The BEST Tasting Black Refried Beans Recipe
Not only are these refried black beans the best tasting recipe but they are healthy too. Using only whole ingredients, they cannot get better than this.
My recipe is simple and easy to make. Just grab out a large food processor. Drain 3 cans of organic black beans and combine with the following ingredients:
- Spanish onion
- green and/or red bell pepper
- fresh garlic
- tomato paste
- sea salt
- a little extra virgin olive oil
- and apple cider vinegar
Yes, that’s it. Toss all of these simple and easy pantry staple ingredients into a large food processor and combine. Then, add the black refried beans recipe to a large skillet to cook for about 10-15 minutes to reduce the liquid.
Healthy Black Refried Beans Recipe
I’ve got a new staple recipe for making super satisfying Meat Free Monday dinners: black refried beans recipe.
We love to eat beans and try to get at least in 1/2 a cup of them every single day. Right along with eating more fruits and vegetables. Eating more beans ranks right up there with one of the most important health-enhancing diet habits you could adopt.
Eat More Beans for Resistant Starch
From the resistant starch to the antioxidants and phytonutrients, the fiber, the super clean plant protein and so much more, beans are a powerhouse of nutrition.
Are Refried Beans Anti Inflammatory?
All beans, including these black refried beans help to promote proper gut health.
There is even new research showing the consumption of fiber-rich beans is linked to an increase in short chain fatty acids (1) Short-chain fatty acids are produced by the friendly bacteria in your gut and they play a major role in optimizing health. Research links an increase in short chain fatty acid production to a reduction in inflammatory diseases, type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart disease and other conditions (2).
Look to the Blue Zones… and enjoy a bowl of Black Refried Beans
The Blue Zones consist of five regions in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the U.S. that researchers have identified as having the highest concentrations of centenarians in the world. Blue Zone residents are considered to be the “world’s healthiest people.”
And when it comes to diet, Blue Zone residents are BIG on beans. Just like my grandfather, most centenarians eat beans every day.
So now you not only have LOTS of reasons to eat more beans, but also a super easy, quick and incredibly versatile and healthy black refried beans recipe to make it all so much easier.
7 Delicious Ways to use this Black Refried Beans Recipe
If you can’t think of what to do with these tasty and authentic black refried beans recipe, here are 7 tasty ideas!
#1: Make These Homemade Nachos
A few years ago I started making this sheet pan-style Recipe for Homemade Nachos under a broiler. And now it’s a household menu staple. Crispy chips, homemade black refried beans covered in all of our favorite Mexican toppings.
#2: Easy Homemade Enchiladas
We have enchiladas three different ways here at Clean Cuisine. You can make these Slow Cooker Enchiladas, a saucy Enchiladas Casserole or these tasty Chicken Enchiladas. Let us know which ones you try!
#3: Make Black Refried Bean Burritos
Long before we adopted a full clean eating diet, our kids loved the bean and cheese burritos at fast food restaurants. I have been trying to replicate this for years and finally, this black refried beans recipe does the trick.
Just top a gluten free flour tortilla shell with some black refried beans. Add some roasted onions and peppers or chopped red onion, fresh cilantro and of course, some hot sauce.
#4: Make a Healthy 7 Layer Dip or Salad
#5: Dish up the Perfect Mexican Side Dish
Add this black refried beans recipe to a side dish bowl and drizzle with a little hot sauce, red onion and cilantro. Trust me, the flavor of these black refried beans on their own is absolutely perfect. I do eat them by the spoonful while mixing them up! Yum!
#6: Make a Healthy Tostada
#7: The Perfect Chip Companion
Or, use this black refried beans recipe as a dip and p air with homemade tortilla chips.
More Mexican-Inspired Clean Eating Recipes
If you love Mexican-inspired recipes as much as we do, then you know it’s not always easy to find clean, healthy recipes. However, I am committed over the next several months to build our Mexican Recipe category.
In the meantime, here are some of my favorites:
- You must try these homemade refried pinto beans. So delicious and just as easy to make.
- My Homemade Guacamole is far better than the store bought tub and so tasty with our homemade tortilla chips.
- Stuffed Mexican Peppers with Quinoa is a vegetarian dish loaded with flavors. Of course, you can always add some grilled chicken or steak.
- Mojo Shrimp Skillet with Cauliflower Rice is has lots of garlic, citrus and fresh cilantro.
- Black Bean Dip with Peaches – you are in for a treat. Just trust me on this combination. You are going to make this over and over again!
Black Refried Beans Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 3 – 14.5 oz cans organic black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup Spanish onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed, to taste
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large food processor, add the organic black beans, bell peppers, onion, tomato paste, jalapeno, garlic cloves, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, cumin and sea salt.
- Process on high until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and re-process, as needed.
- Transfer the bean puree to a 12″ ceramic skillet and simmer on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Keywords: Black Refried Beans Recipe