Recipe for Homemade Nachos – A few years ago I started making this sheet pan-style recipe for homemade nachos under a broiler. And now it’s a household menu staple. Crispy chips, homemade refried beans covered in all of our favorite Mexican toppings.
How to Make a Healthy Recipe for Homemade Nachos
When you think nachos, I know you are not thinking healthy in the same sentence. You can find nachos, typically chips and terribly unhealthy cheese whiz at most major sporting events, theme parks and fair vendors. We are definitely not advocating for this kind of nachos.
Making your own healthy recipe for homemade nachos is going to life-changing because it’s so versatile. You can make this dish as an appetizer for a bigger meal, use it as a side dish to our Chicken Street Tacos. Or, eat it as a main meal – which is what we do the most of!
Keep reading below for the 4 ways to make this recipe for homemade nachos so healthy and quite delicious!
4 Tips for Making this Recipe for Homemade Nachos
Maybe you don’t want to do all 4 things – but get as close as you can. Trust me, it’s worth it just for the flavor. Secondly, for the satisfaction that such a simple recipe can taste so good.
#1: Make Your Own Tortilla Chips
We have searched for a healthy tortilla chip and cannot find one single brand of chips that is 100% “clean”. This is mostly due to the highly refined omega-6 oils used in commercial chips. Even the chips that claim to be stone ground and whole grain are usually fried in pro-inflammatory oils.
These homemade tortilla chips are semi-homemade and very easy to make. With an oven and a few key products, you’ll be on your way to clean chips and dip in no time!
#2: Refried Pinto Beans – Clean Cuisine-Style!
From the resistant starch to the antioxidants and phytonutrients, the fiber, the super clean plant protein and so much more, beans are a powerhouse of nutrition.
Plus, store-bought canned refried beans have a list of ingredients even we have to look up. So, make your own Refried Pinto Beans for this delicious recipe for homemade nachos. Yes, they are easy, delicious and worth the 5 extra minutes.
#3: Homemade Salsa with Fresh Tomatoes – Bursting with Flavor!
My favorite kinda of homemade pico de gallo is this Salsa with Fresh Tomatoes recipe. Loaded with flavor from the fresh pressed garlic, cilantro and lime juice. It’s perfect for any Mexican dish or paired with our homemade tortilla chips.
Skip the store bought jar full of unnecessary ingredients and opt for whole foods.
#4: The Best Cilantro Lime Crema
This perfectly creamy and zesty addition to any Mexican recipe is my Cilantro Lime Crema. Made with cashews, this recipe is dairy free and naturally gluten free. Loaded with nutrients, you’ll never feel guilty piling it on top of your dish.
It literally makes this entire tray of homemade nachos come together!
*You can certainly made our delicious Recipe for Guacamole, but I typically opt to just dice our avocados and layer them on top.
Recipe for Homemade Nachos – Mexican-inspired
If you’ve been around Clean Cuisine for any length of time, you know we have a love of Mexican-inspired food. Of course, these are more of the tex-mex variety. However, if you’re looking for more traditional inspired Mexican dishes, Taste of Home offers over 60 authentic recipes that will definitely inspire.
Here are some of our favorite Mexican dishes:
- Homemade and healthy (dairy free and gluten free) Chicken Enchiladas
- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers made vegetarian but you can easily add grilled chicken or steak.
- Looking for a vegetarian Mexican meal that is loaded with healthy vegetables? Try these Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas.
- Mojo Skillet with Cauliflower Rice is loaded with citrus flavors and topped with fresh cilantro.
- Similar to this recipe for homemade nachos, check out my 7 Layered Mexican Dip that can be eaten by itself or with our tortilla chips. Yum!
Now, let’s make this tasty, delicious and flavorful recipe for homemade nachos. No more talking. More eating!Print
Recipe for Homemade Nachos
This layered recipe for Homemade Nachos is the perfect crunchy, fresh, delicious and Mexican-inspired flavor for any meal of the day!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Broiler
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- Line a baking pan with unbleached parchment paper and turn the oven broiler to low. If you don’t have a broiler, turn the oven on to 300 degrees.
- Place the homemade tortilla chips in a single layer, adding additional chips on top, as you prefer.
- Spoon the refried pinto beans on top and place under the broiler for 4-6 minutes until the beans are warm and the chips begin to crisp.
- Pull the baking pan out of the oven and immediately begin to add toppings. If you like the heat, scatter out the jalepenos on top of the refried pinto beans.
- Next, spoon out the homemade salsa. Then, the diced avocados.
- Drizzle the cilantro lime crema and top with a healthy serving of cilantro. If you have extra avocado, salsa or lime crema, server on the side of your nachos.
This recipe for homemade nachos is best eaten right away. The chips do hold their crisp even with layers on top, but they do not warm up well.
Keywords: Recipe for Homemade Nachos