It’s also a slow cooker dish that actually lives up to the slow cooker hype; dump all of the ingredients into the pot, hit the button and return several hours later to a perfectly cooked dinner. Although the vast majority of slow cooker meals won’t be very tasty if you don’t do a little prep work first (sauteing, pre-roasting, pre-searing, etc.), this Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe with Turmeric and Vegetables really is a set-it-and-forget-it tasty one dish wonder. It embodies the true spirit of slow cooking.
The Best Chicken for Any Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
If you have our Clean Cuisine book, you know we always recommend eating a pasture-raised chicken over free-range, organic, vegetarian-fed, etc. Not only are pasture-raised chickens healthier, they are also much tastier.
Whether you are making my slow cooker chicken recipe or any other one, I can’t emphasize enough the importance of eating chickens that are pastured and fed the natural diet chickens are supposed to eat. The quality and nutritional value of the chicken you eat varies widely depending on what the chicken ate. The natural chicken diet is one that contains fresh pasture, worms and bugs (FYI: chickens are not supposed to be vegetarians!) If the chicken eats a deviant diet from what a wild chicken would eat then it won’t be as healthy, and neither will you if you eat it. A chicken allowed to consume a natural chicken diet has a more balanced ratio of omega-6 fat to omega-3 fat and the chickens themselves are leaner because they get to exercise. The eggs from pastured chickens are also healthier. Compared to commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture contain about 1/3 less cholesterol, less saturated fat, more vitamin A, more omega-3 fat, less omega-6 fat, more than twice the amount of vitamin E and considerably more beta carotene.
One quick note about the parsley…you will want to add the parsley about 30 minutes before the chicken is done. If you add the parsley right from the beginning, you’ll just end up with a wilted, discolored parsley mess.
To turn your Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe into a complete dinner, serve with a chopped side salad and steamed short grain brown rice (I use sprouted brown rice, such as Lundberg brand, whenever possible). And, I know I have said it a gillion times, but I can’t help but say it again; using a rice cooker is the absolute easiest way to cook rice and all other whole grains.
Ok, on with the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 whole lemon
- One 3 1/2 pound whole pasture-raised broiler/ fryer chicken (rinsed and patted dry inside and out)
- 2 onions (sliced into thin strips)
- 8 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 8 carrots (sliced into thin strips)
- 2 red bell peppers (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes (Note: Look for Muir Glen Organic Crushed Tomatoes with Basil)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped parsley
- Steamed short grain brown rice (Note: I like Lundberg brand sprouted short grain brown rice)
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt. Add the honey and the juice from one whole lemon (reserving the lemon rind) and mix well.
- Using your hands, apply the turmeric spice mixture generously all over the inside and outside of the bird. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with half of the onions, half of the garlic and the reserved lemon rind.
- Place the remaining onions and garlic in the bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the carrots, bell pepper and crushed tomatoes. Season with salt to taste. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours (Note: Cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken and slow cooker). Add the chopped parsley about 30 minutes before cooking time ends. Serve warm over steamed short grain brown rice.
Crushed tomatoes can vary tremendously from brand to brand; to ensure the Slow Cooker Chicken recipe turns out properly, I recommend Muir Glen Organic Crushed Tomatoes with Basil.
P.S. Looking for More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.