Golden Milk Recipe – This Golden Milk Recipe is an amazing way to reduce inflammation, and give you a big burst of energy! Delicious both hot or cold, and full of medicinal properties that will leave you feeling great, this Golden Milk is one you just may start wanting to incorporate into your morning routine.
This Golden Milk Recipe is gluten and dairy-free, vegan, and super easy to make! Ready to learn more? Keep reading!
How to Make this Golden Milk Recipe
Golden milk is a sweet and spicy plant-based milk drink filled with turmeric and ginger. It has quickly gained popularity over the past few years for its anti-inflammatory and healing benefits, and is quickly becoming a well-known, common drink!
Not only will you find this drink in many health based tea, coffee, or juice shops, you can even find it in convenient, grab-and-go bottles at health food stores like Whole Foods! As many brands are recognizing the demand for clean, on-the-go nutrition, they’re stepping up to the plate with more whole ingredient, clean convenient foods (like Pop and Bottle and Rebbl). This is quickly making clean eating much more sustainable for traveling, and days where you don’t have time to spend in the kitchen. Enjoy this recipe either hot or cold, reaping the anti-inflammatory, and immune boosting properties!
We are so grateful for brands offering convenient, grab-and-go clean food options. We actually utilize these ourselves when we are traveling or out and about! However, making your own healthy food from home is usually more cost effective, and still our go to when it is an option!
This Golden Milk Recipe is quick and easy to make, and requires only a few, easily-sourced ingredients, and a high-speed blender. You’re looking at 15 minutes from start to finish, and more like 5 minutes if you prefer it iced!
While this recipe is made to be enjoyable (and it is!), it’s equally made for health benefits and healing! Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients…
Ingredients in our Golden Milk Recipe
So how exactly do you make a Golden Milk Recipe from scratch? It’s quite simple, and requires few ingredients. Rest assured that this is one of our fail-proof recipes that requires little time in the kitchen, and minimal clean up…
The base of this recipe is water, and a plant-based milk. While we prefer coconut milk in this particular recipe, any milk works well!
Turmeric is a spice that has been used medicinally for years now. This is due to its abilities to reduce inflammation, improve immunity, aid in weight loss, improve mood, reduce oxidative stress, increase HDL (good) cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, and much more!
It significantly boosts the body’s detoxifying glutathione levels, and when paired with ginger, is even better!
Ginger is another potent anti-inflammatory often used for its medicinal properties. It helps to reduce inflammation, soothe nausea, has been known to reduce pain, and so much more. In addition, ginger is known to further boost turmeric’s absorption and bioavailability.
We love using natural sweeteners, especially whole sweeteners like dates! Consuming natural sugar is nothing like refined, processed sugar. While refined sugar is an empty calorie, promoting inflammation and lower immunity, natural sweeteners like dates are full of fiber, helping to boost immunity, and reduce inflammation!
Hemp seeds are tiny, but POWERFUL “super-fruits“. These tiny seeds are anti-inflammatory due to their omega-3 and omega-6 fats, full of gama-linolenic acid, high in protein, and more. They also have an amazing ability to make recipes thick and creamy, make an incredible milk, and are a “super-fruit” we often add to our smoothies, cereals, and salads!
Lemon juice adds a mild citrusy flavor, and boosts the detoxification properties of our Golden Milk Recipe. While this ingredient is optional, we think it’s a great addition!
Cinnamon, Cardamom, Black Pepper
Cinnamon and cardamom function as spices in this Golden Milk Recipe. Combined, they give this Golden Milk a warm chai flavor. The black pepper helps to boost the bioavailability of turmeric!
How to Add More Turmeric into Your Diet
Like mentioned above, turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory that exhibits over 150 potentially therapeutic activities. Turmeric is the star ingredient in my Latte recipe. Capable of anti-inflammation, boosted immunity, improved digestion, and even a helpful for depression and cancer, turmeric is one of the most therapeutic spices that exist. The benefits of turmeric are truly too many to even include here.
If you are serious about following a clean, anti-inflammatory diet, then you should consider adding turmeric (and ginger!) to your daily regimen.
Our Favorite Recipes with Turmeric
So what are some of our recipes with turmeric? Here are some of our top recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe with Turmeric and Vegetables: This is a slow cooker dish that lives up to the slow cooker hype. Simply dump all of the ingredients into the pot, hit the button and return several hours later to a perfectly cooked dinner. Oh! And it also includes turmeric as a main spice.
Turmeric Recipe for Salad Dressing: Mild tasting Turmeric Recipe for Salad Dressing that is full of flavor and healthy. Great for salads, marinade for chicken, dipping sauce for vegetables and so much more.
Turmeric Smoothie: Turmeric Smoothie not only tastes delicious (really!), but also has the potential to significantly improve your mood and overall well being.
Should You Give Up Your Morning Coffee?
I want to dedicate part of this article to those who are looking for coffee substitutes. Before we jump into this, I want to make it clear that we don’t think coffee is unhealthy or bad! We often drink coffee ourselves, and offer numerous healthy coffee recipes right here on Clean Cuisine. However, we aren’t naive to the fact that many people cannot tolerate coffee (especially those with digestive issues or diseases). Others may just have a distaste for it in general.
We don’t agree that coffee is bad for you. Besides, there is actually very little legitimate research that coffee is bad for you.
Coffee beans are full of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect against oxidative stress by “mopping up” damaging free radicals that have been implicated in cancer, heart disease and the aging process in general.
The BEST Coffee Substitutes
Going back to the people who don’t drink coffee for either health reasons, or preference, there are still many options for you! You can still have a warm (or cold) drink to sip on in the mornings. Coffee drinker or not, here are our favorite coffee substitutes!
- Golden Milk Recipe – Starting off with purpose of this article, our Golden Milk Recipe is the perfect coffee alternative! Filled with anti-inflammatory turmeric and gut-health promoting dates, this Golden Milk is delicious, and healthy!
- Roasted Dandelion Tea: Dandelion tea has long been used for its ability to aid in gallbladder, liver, and bile duct health. It also just so happens to taste a lot like coffee! There was a point in time that I gave coffee up all together for gut healing purposes. During this time, I would mix my roasted dandelion tea with nut milk, honey, and ice for a delicious coffee alternative!
- Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate – While your first reaction might be to jump to the conclusion that hot chocolate is unhealthy and more of a treat, I invite you to look at the clean and simple ingredients in our Recipe for Hot Chocolate! Filled with antioxidant and nutrient-rich raw cacao powder, and sweetened with dates and maple, this Hot Chocolate is one you can enjoy any time of the day!
- Soothing Ginger Lemon Honey Tea: This Ginger Lemon Honey Tea is full of health benefits, and is oh-so-easy to make! Ginger soothes the stomach, reduces inflammation, and increases circulation. Lemon is an antioxidant and a good source of vitamin C. Honey is a natural anti-bacterial and immune booster. Detoxifying and delicious, this tea recipe is one you’ll want to make over and over again!
- Hot Cinnamon Apple Smoothie: This Hot Cinnamon Apple Smoothie tastes like apple pie. It’s a great alternative to a cold smoothie for chilly days.
For those with food allergies and sensitivities, this recipe meets the following dietary restrictions:
Egg Free / Grain Free / Bean-Free / Gluten Free / Paleo Friendly / Vegetarian/ Vegan/ Nut Free
Golden Milk Recipe
This Golden Milk Recipe is an amazing way to reduce inflammation, and give you a big burst of energy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, can substitute for any plant-based milk
- 10 medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (omit for SCD & AIP)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (omit for AIP)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Put all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour contents into a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. If serving cold, skip this step, and fill cup with ice, and pour Golden Milk on top.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Golden Milk will keep for 3 to 4 days if stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. Shake before drinking.
Keywords: Golden Milk Recipe