Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili – This Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili is a deliciously hearty and warm recipe for fall or winter. Slow cooker recipes are some of my favorites since they require very little hands-on time. You really can just dump the ingredients, move along with business, and return to a warm and nutritious meal, ready for the whole family to enjoy!
Loaded with plant foods, and filled with flavor, this is a recipe you’ll definitely want to try this season! Ready to learn more? Keep reading!
Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili
This Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili is perfect for the chef on the go. If you strive to maintain a healthy, clean eating diet for you and your family, but don’t have all day to spend in the kitchen, you’re going to love how easy and hands-off this recipe truly is!
While hearty and nutritious meal, this recipe does not compromise on flavor. Made without dairy (one food group we generally avoid here at Clean Cuisine), this Slow Cooker Chili has a cheesy punch, perfect for those who avoid dairy, but enjoy topping their chili with cheese. So how exactly do we get this cheesy flavor completely dairy-free?
Dairy-Free Cheesy Flavor
Being dairy-free does NOT mean you have to avoid cheese and milk. In fact, there are endless swaps for both of these dairy staples! Vegan cheese is easily made at home, while there are also many brands offering convenient, healthier vegan cheese options stores these days. The same goes for almond milk! Almond or other vegan milks are easy to whip up homemade, while brands like Malk and Elmhurst are great for healthy store bought options.
In this recipe, we used nutritional yeast to add vegan cheesy flavor! Nutritional yeast is perfect for adding cheesy flavor to a recipe, without the need for an actual dairy or vegan cheese. It simply dissolves in recipes like soup and chili, leaving behind the perfect nutty, cheesy flavor. Not a cheese fan? Simply leave it out of the recipe.
Make Slow Cooker Chili Your Own
This Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili is delicious when made exactly as is, but it also leaves lots of room for customization! Use some of the ideas below to make your chili your own, and cater to your personal preferences:
Top with Vegan Sour Cream: If you love topping your chili with sour cream, we’ve got the perfect dairy-free recipes for you! Try a Homemade Dairy Free Sour Cream Recipe, or simply top with Coconut Yogurt. Both are delicious!
Sprinkle with Chives: Chives add a tasty, onion-y flavor to your chili. Chop small, and add to taste!
Try Different Types of Beans: While this recipe calls for red beans, feel free to use whatever beans you prefer! I love this recipe with great northern beans.
Add, or Take Away Spice: Enjoy a mild chili? Cut out some of the chili powder and cumin. Love extra spicy? Add extra!
More Chili Recipes
No two chilis are the same. Here at Clean Cuisine, we offer numerous chili recipes, all unique from one another! Want to switch it up this season? Here are just a few of our favorites…
Instant Pot Chili Recipe: Instant Pot Chili Recipe is perfect with tortilla chips or warm cornbread muffins. The flavor of this instant pot recipe is perfect.
White Chicken Chili Recipe: White Chicken Chili recipe is still every bit as rich and decadent as conventional versions, but is dairy free. Creamy, delicious and hearty!
Vegetable Chili Recipe: Whether you decide to make it with or without meat, this Vegetable Chili Recipe is incredibly filling. It is especially satisfying with the avocado topper!
White Bean Soup Recipe: White Bean Soup recipe dishes up everything you could possibly want out of a bean recipe. A daily serving a beans is great for your health.
Taco Chili Recipe: Healthy Turkey Chili recipe is inspired by Taco Tuesday. Delicious south-of-the-border flavor, bursting with protein and nutrients.
Ready to learn how to make this easy recipe from home? Keep reading for all the details!
Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili
This Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili is a deliciously hearty and warm recipe for fall or winter.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours + 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2.5 hours
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- 2 15 oz cans BPA-free organic small red beans (or beans of choice), rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ cups organic chicken broth, can sub for vegetable broth
- 16 ounces of ground, pastured turkey
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper of choice, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, plus 1 to 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and 1 tablespoon of the garlic; sauté until the onion is soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce; sauté until the bell pepper is crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a 5-6 qt slow cooker. Add the nutritional yeast, beans, tomatoes, broth, cumin, and chili powder. Use a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients together.
- Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the skillet used to sauté the vegetables; heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of garlic and ground, pastured turkey and sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the honey and stir to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the turkey mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for two hours.
- Let chili sit for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
Keywords: Recipe for Slow Cooker Chili