Recipe for Homemade Yogurt from Coconut Cream – If you avoid dairy like I do, then you might have given up yogurt as well. However, there are many health benefits to probiotic-rich yogurt, and absolutely no reason to give it up! That’s because you can easily make a Recipe for Homemade Yogurt from Coconut Cream in just a few short minutes of hands-on time.
Perfect for quick breakfasts or healthy snacks, this is a recipe you’ll want to keep stocked in your refrigerator. Ready to learn more? Keep reading!
Recipe for Homemade Yogurt with Coconut Cream
I gave up dairy years ago in order to reduce inflammation, and heal my body. Here at Clean Cuisine, we simply do not believe that milk does the body any good! Plus, with all of the amazing dairy-free alternatives these days, there’s no reason not to give up dairy. From nut milk, to plant-based cheeses, to dairy-free ice cream, going dairy-free is no longer the sacrifice it use to be.
While there are numerous coconut yogurts on the shelves of the grocery store these days, few are actually free of sugar and emulsifiers (although there are a couple of brands that are truly clean!). Instead of relying on the stock of these products, I decided to make my very own Recipe from Homemade Yogurt with Coconut Cream from home!
Not only is it quick and easy to make, it’s also highly cost effective, and in my opinion, tastes even better than what you can buy in-store!
What You’ll Need to Make Coconut Yogurt
Making homemade coconut yogurt requires only a few minutes of hands-on time, and only 3 ingredients. It really is incredibly simple! Here’s exactly what you’ll need to make coconut yogurt from home:
The main ingredient you’ll need to make this Recipe for Yogurt with Coconut Cream is…coconut cream! It is, however very important to consider the ingredients of your coconut cream before purchasing it. Most brands include gums and emulsifiers to thicken their coconut cream, which may not only be harmful to your gut, but are also subpar products. If you need gums to thicken your coconut cream, it’s probably not top quality.
Coconut cream should include one, and only up to two ingredients, coconut extract or cream, and water! While brands free of added ingredients are few and far between, they most definitely exist! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Thrive Market Brand: The ingredients in this brand are coconut extract and water. Two simple ingredients for a thick and creamy coconut cream that makes fantastic yogurt!
- Aryo’d Pure Coconut Cream: I get the boxed version of this coconut cream for bpa free packaging. The ingredients in this brand are even more simple…just coconut cream!
- Trader Joe’s Brand: If you’re lucky enough to live near a Trader Joe’s, their coconut cream is clean (organic coconut and water), superb quality, and a pretty great price!
- Nature’s Greatest Foods: Including just organic coconut extract and water, this brand is another great option!
Dairy-Free Yogurt Starter or Probiotic
In order to make probiotic-rich homemade yogurt, you’ll need a yogurt starter culture or probiotics. In this recipe, I used the Vegan Yogurt Starter Culture from Cultures for Health, although you are welcome to make your own selection here.
The sugar in this recipe is not used as a sweetener, but rather, food for the probiotics to consume. Because we use such a small amount in this recipe (only 1 teaspoon), the probiotics will consume the entirety of the sugar, leaving a tart and greek yogurt flavor to the finished product.
There are many great options for yogurt makers out there, including Instant Pots which often come with a yogurt setting! However, I’ve been a longtime dedicated user of Luvele’s Yogurt Makers, and have always seen great results!
Luvele Yogurt Maker
Homemade coconut yogurt is a great dairy-free, probiotic-rich, clean eating alternative to store bought yogurt. Luvele’s Yogurt Maker makes it easy and quick!
When making your yogurt, it is important to ensure your yogurt mixture does not reach about 104ºF before adding in the cultures. If the cultures are added in at a temperature any higher than this, they will be killed, and become ineffective.
Ways to Use Coconut Yogurt
Coconut yogurt can be used in more ways than you could imagine! From savory to sweet recipes, coconut yogurt is versatile, and can add a lot to a recipe.
Tzatizki Sauce: One of my all time favorite recipes to make with coconut yogurt is tzatizki sauce! Delicious on wraps, gyros, and more, tzatizki sauce is a staple in my fridge!
Sour Cream Substitute: I know it sounds crazy, but if you’re dairy-free and don’t have time to make a full-blown homemade sour cream recipe, coconut yogurt is a delicious substitute! I make this swap on a very regular basis in my house. You’ll often find me adding in a dollop of vegan yogurt to my soup and chili recipes.
Blueberry Lemon Loaf: This Blueberry Lemon Loaf offers a subtly sweet and perfectly moist healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert option! One of the secret ingredients that makes this recipe stand out is the vegan yogurt added in.
Add into a Smoothie: Add a couple of tablespoons of coconut yogurt into basically any smoothie recipe for a boost of probiotics, and deliciously tart flavor!
Quick Snack or Breakfast: Top your yogurt with some fruit, drizzle with honey, and maybe even add a few superfood toppings like flaxseed or pepitas, and you’ve got a delicious and filling breakfast or snack option!
Try this recipe once, and it will become an absolute staple in your home. Ready to learn more? Let’s get into the details!
Recipe for Homemade Yogurt with Coconut Cream
Perfect for quick breakfasts or healthy snacks, this Recipe for Homemade Yogurt with Coconut Cream is one you’ll want to keep stocked!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 24 hours
- Total Time: 24.25 hours
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Begin by pouring everything but 1/2 cup of the coconut cream into a medium-sized saucepan, and place on low heat. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup into a small bowl.
- Evenly sprinkle the gelatin over the coconut cream in the small bowl, and set aside to bloom for 3-5 minutes.
- Once bloomed, add the gelatin coconut cream mixture to the saucepan, and stir until fully dissolved, being sure to keep the mixture from exceeding 104ºF (if mixture does exceed 104ºF, you should remove from heat, and allow mixture to cool before proceeding).
- Remove from heat, and add probiotics or starter, alongside honey or sugar to mixture. Stir until fully dissolved.
- Pour coconut yogurt mixture into yogurt maker, and place on 100ºF for 24 hours.
- Once yogurt has fermented for 24 hours, pour into glass containers and seal with an airtight lid. Place the jar in the fridge to set for 6+ hours.
- After setting, the gelatin and coconut cream will have formed two layers. Simply place in a blender or use a stick blender to combine.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 10 days. Enjoy!
Keywords: Recipe for Homemade Yogurt with Coconut Cream