Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe – This Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe is not only creamy, savory, and delicious, but they’re healthy too! And while potatoes often get a bad rap, they actually bring many important nutrients to the table!
A quick and easy recipe that serves perfectly as a side dish or appetizer, this Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe is one everyone will love! Ready to learn more? Keep reading!
Are Potatoes Healthy?
Like mentioned above, potatoes are a beneficial and healthy part of a balanced diet. However, due to their carb content, potatoes have come under much scrutiny by fitness, health, and weight loss experts. Time and again we hear diet gurus group potatoes in with other empty calorie foods, such as white bread, white sugar, and so on. Thanks to the low-carb craze most people automatically assume potatoes are empty-calorie starches.
So…other than carbohydrates, what else is in a potato that makes it so great? Well, not only are potatoes full of nutrients (including antioxidants and phytonutrients along with fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, tryptophan, iron and potassium), but they’re also a great source of resistance starches (food for the good bacteria in our guts).
We could quite literally go on all day about the benefits of potatoes. But to conserve the length of this article, click here for all the details to learn more about why potatoes are healthy!
Why We Crave Starchy Foods
It’s not secret that potatoes are starchy, but like mentioned above, that’s not a bad thing! Those in the foodie world are probably aware that it has long been believed our tongues register four primary tastes: salty, sweet, sour and bitter. Umami – the savory taste often associated with cheese–was added as the “fifth taste” back in 2009. And now it appears starchy–the flavor associated with carbohydrates such as potatoes and bread—could be the “sixth taste.” This new research could definitely help explain why carb cravings are so hard to resist.
As long as we are fulfilling our starchy cravings in a healthy way, there’s no reason to deprive ourselves! Satisfy that craving, while reaping all of the healthy benefits with healthy starchy choices like potatoes!
Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
This Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe below will definitely satisfy your “starchy taste” craving. It also offers many more health benefits than a conventional version made with the usual recipe full of dairy (click here to learn why we avoid dairy). The recipe below uses plant-based dairy alternatives so that you can enjoy your sour cream, cheese, and butter without any of the consequences of an upset stomach! All of the flavor of the conventional recipe, without all of the conventional side effects.
Ideas for Main Courses
Like mentioned above, this recipe is the perfect appetizer or side dish to your main course. Here are some of our favorite recipes to pair our Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe with!
Broccoli with Bacon Salad: This Broccoli with Bacon Salad is loaded with fruits, veggies, and seeds, and drizzled with an easy, Homemade Ranch Dressing.
Cream of Broccoli Soup: Cream of Broccoli Soup surely must be the tastiest way to eat broccoli! Here’s how to make a super healthy Broccoli Soup without Cream.
BEST Oven Fried Chicken Recipe: Oven Fried Chicken recipe that is a Chick-fil-A chicken copycat recipe and completely gluten free. Enjoy one of our favorite family dishes.
Ready to jump into the recipe? Let’s get into the details!
Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
This Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe is not only creamy, savory, and delicious, but they’re healthy too!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- Yield: 8 potato halves 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 4 small russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon plant-based butter, try Miyokos
- 2 tablespoons homemade dairy-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheese, try Parmela Creamery, can substitute with 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 3 slices turkey bacon, crumbled
- Salt to taste
- Fresh or dried parsley to taste
- Chives to garnish, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over each potato; bake potatoes on an upper oven rack for 50 minutes-1 hour. Remove potatoes from the oven, but leave the oven on. Set potatoes aside to cool.
- While potatoes are cooling, pan fry turkey bacon until crispy.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the centers, and place in a large bowl. *Do not scoop the entire center out as the skins will tear, and cave in.
- Add butter, sour cream, cheese (or nutritional yeast), turkey bacon crumbles, and salt to bowl with potato centers. Mash together using a fork.
- Evenly distribute the filing into the potato shells.
- Place back on baking sheet, and bake on 400º for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven, and garnish with parsley and chives.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
Keywords: Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
Did You Make the Recipe for Twice Baked Potatoes?
If so, please be sure to let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #CleanCuisine
Want More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the recipe for Twice Baked Potatoes, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Digital Cookbook.