Looking for the tastiest clean eating way to eat broccoli? I would have to say creamy dairy free Broccoli Soup is definitely the way to go! But how do you make Broccoli Soup without dairy? Cashew milk (or pine nut milk) is the secret….
How to Make Broccoli Soup without Dairy
If you have our Clean Cuisine book , you may recall the recipe for Cashew Milk and Pine Nut Milk on page 145. The recipes are so basic I am hesitant to even call them “recipes”! All you do is process the nuts with water in a high speed blender (such as Luvele’s Vibe Blender). It’s really that easy.
If you are trying to eat clean, eliminating the dairy from Cream of Broccoli Soup is the only real change you need to make from the classic recipe. Ditching the dairy does wonders to clean it up (read more about why milk does not do a body good!) And thanks to the rich and creamy texture and neutral flavor of cashew milk (or pine nut milk), the cleaned up Broccoli Soup tastes just like the traditional version you may have grown up eating and loving.
Put Leftovers in Mason Jars!
This recipe serves six, so unless you are serving a lot of people you should have plenty leftover. I transfer my leftovers to mason jars for easy storage. I also like to eat the soup cold as a quick lunch option the day after.
Pin this graphic for later!
Cream of Broccoli Soup surely must be the tastiest way to eat broccoli! Here’s how to make a super healthy Broccoli Soup without Dairy.
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (OR pine nuts)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil OR unrefined avocado oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 leek (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic
- Unrefined sea salt and white pepper (to taste)
- 1 head broccoli (coarsely chopped (both florets and stems))
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- In a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix, add the water and cashews (OR pine nuts); process until smooth and creamy. Set mixture aside.
- Heat the oil over low-heat in a large saucepan. Add the onions, celery, leeks and garlic; saute for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Add the chopped broccoli and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the reserved nut milk and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. (Note: if you do not have a handheld immersion blender see instructions below)
If you do not have a handheld immersion blender, wait until the soup is room temperature and then puree in small batches in your high speed blender.
Looking for More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the Dairy Free Broccoli Soup recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.