The tastiest and creamiest way to eat broccoli is this Broccoli Soup without Cream. And yes, we promise it’s creamy, even though it is dairy free and gut-friendly.
Want to know the secret in our Broccoli Soup without Cream? It’s good, trust me!
Cream of Broccoli Soup without Cream
Most classic Cream of Broccoli Soups call for cheddar, heavy cream and/or lots of butter. Here at Clean Cuisine, we believe in eating whole foods and limit pro-inflammatories like wheat, dairy and refined sugar.
If you’ve been around for awhile, then you know we love nut-based and plant-based milks like this Homemade Cashew Milk recipe. This recipe is so basic I am hesitant to even call them “recipes”! All you do is process the cashews with water in a high speed blender. It’s really that easy!
How to Make Broccoli Soup without Cream
If you are trying to eat clean, then eliminating the dairy from this creamy Broccoli Soup is the only real change you need to make from the classic recipe.
Ditching the dairy does wonders to clean it up (read more about why milk does not do a body good!) And thanks to the rich and creamy texture and neutral flavor of cashew milk, the cleaned up Broccoli Soup tastes just like the traditional version you may have grown up eating and loving.
Put Leftovers in Mason Jars!
This recipe serves six, so unless you are serving a lot of people you should have plenty leftover. I transfer my leftovers into mason jars for easy storage. I also like to eat the soup cold as a quick lunch option the day after.Print
Broccoli Soup without Cream
Cream of Broccoli Soup surely must be the tastiest way to eat broccoli! Here’s how to make a super healthy Broccoli Soup without Cream.
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 47 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil OR unrefined avocado oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 leek (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic
- Unrefined sea salt and white pepper (to taste)
- 1 head broccoli (coarsely chopped (both florets and stems))
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- In a high speed blender, add the water and cashews; process until smooth and creamy. Set mixture aside.
- Heat the oil over low-heat in a large saucepan. Add the onions, celery, leeks and garlic; saute for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped broccoli and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the reserved nut milk and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
(Note: if you do not have a handheld immersion blender see instructions below)
If you do not have a handheld immersion blender, wait until the soup is room temperature and then puree in small batches in your high speed blender.
Looking for More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the Dairy Free Broccoli Soup recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.