Sweet Potato Soup – If you love a nice homespun bowl of soup that is just as easy as it is delicious, this Sweet Potato Soup is for you! While everyone loves a good homemade meal, nobody wants to spend hours laboring over a hot stove all day long. That’s why this low-prep, low-stress Sweet Potato Soup is the way to go!
Easy Sweet Potato Soup
When looking for a quick and easy meal to keep you nourished all week long, this Sweet Potato Soup fits the bill perfectly. It really is super easy and quick to make, but without losing a bit of flavor. This is because you roast the vegetables along with a whole head of garlic, which helps it maintain that special “been cooking all day” quality that makes soup so satisfying.
Roast the veggies, combine with broth, and blend to a creamy perfection. That’s really all there is to it! We recommend storing half of the soup in your fridge, and the other half in your freezer to enjoy all week long!
All About the Phytonutrients
Phytonutrients are super healing substances only found in plant-based foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains and beans. Phytonutrients offer tremendous health, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging benefits independent of their nutritional value, amongst much more!
With this soup being completely plant-based, it is loaded with phytonutrients, amongst a huge amount of vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients needed for a well-functioning body. Click here to read more about phytonutrients!
However, before moving on, I thought it was necessary to address a question we get quite often…are carrots healthy?
Are Carrots Healthy?
I know what you may be thinking… You may be concerned about sugar, carbs and weight gain wonder whether or not carrots are truly a healthy food. Guess what? They are! Carrots also have a ton of fiber, anti-aging and disease-fighting phytonutrients, a hefty dose of potassium and a little calcium and magnesium, among so many other benefits.
If you missed my earlier article answering “Are carrots good for you?”, go read it now! Trust me, nobody ever got fat because they ate one too many carrots!
Let me know how you like the recipe!
Sweet Potato Soup
If you love a nice homespun bowl of soup that is just as easy as it is delicious, this Sweet Potato Soup is for you!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups of carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
- Unrefined sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups organic vegetable broth – if Whole 30 or SCD, be extra cautious of ingredients, or opt for homemade broth, like this one!
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- Optional – pumpkin seeds, chives, or cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off ¼ to a ½ inch of the top of the cloves, exposing individual cloves of garlic. Place the garlic on the center of a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes, carrots and onions around the garlic.
- Lightly brush the garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots and onions with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Remove roasted garlic and place in a large stock pot with the vegetable broth. Bring liquid to boil.
- Add in all of the roasted vegetables and cumin. Return to boil and then remove from heat.
- With a stick blender, such as Cuisinart’s Smart Stick or using a puree soup until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Add water or more broth to thin, if desired.
- Add additional salt if needed.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle optional toppings on top of each serving.
Keywords: Sweet Potato Soup