Cream of Broccoli Soup surely must be the tastiest way to eat broccoli! Here’s how to make a super healthy Broccoli Soup without Dairy.
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (OR pine nuts)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil OR unrefined avocado oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 leek (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic
- Unrefined sea salt and white pepper (to taste)
- 1 head broccoli (coarsely chopped (both florets and stems))
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- In a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix, add the water and cashews (OR pine nuts); process until smooth and creamy. Set mixture aside.
- Heat the oil over low-heat in a large saucepan. Add the onions, celery, leeks and garlic; saute for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Add the chopped broccoli and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the reserved nut milk and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. (Note: if you do not have a handheld immersion blender see instructions below)
If you do not have a handheld immersion blender, wait until the soup is room temperature and then puree in small batches in your high speed blender.