Who doesn’t love spinach artichoke dip? It’s an all time favorite! And the good news is that you don’t even need cheese to make a delicious spinach artichoke dip. This Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe is vegan, paleo, and a dip everyone can enjoy! It’s bursting with flavor, and in my opinion, pretty addictive. Pair it with chips or gluten free bruschetta, and you have the perfect appetizer or snack!
Let’s get into the details.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
When you think of spinach artichoke dip, it’s likely you imagine a thick, ooey gooey, cheesy dip. After all, isn’t that what makes it so delicious? Thankfully, dairy-free or vegan does NOT mean cheese free. The cheesy effect found in this conventional recipe can easily be imitated with a few ingredient swaps.
So what are the secret ingredients that help this dish maintain its cheesy texture and flavor? Let me show you!
Obviously at the heart of this dip are artichokes! I like to get mine precut and frozen, and then steam when I’m ready to use them.
Same with the spinach. Both fresh and frozen spinach work great in this recipe!
Instead of the cream cheese normally relied on in conventional recipes to achieve a thick, creamy texture, this recipe uses coconut cream! Coconut cream acts as the perfect thick, creamy base for sauces, soups, dips, and so much more!
Mayonnaise is another component of what gives this recipe it’s thick, creamy texture. Of course, to make this recipe clean, it’s important to use a clean ingredient mayonnaise! If you’re vegan, vegan mayo options are also available at most health food stores.
If you’re dairy free or vegan, you have to have nutritional yeast in your life! Nutritional yeast tastes just like cheese, and dissolves easily in recipes.
I love that this recipe is so simple, and quick to make! It’s one appetizer I can count on that everyone will enjoy, and is great for storing in the fridge, and snacking when you’re hungry.
Let’s get into the recipe!Print
Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
- 12 ounces Artichoke Hearts (canned or frozen)
- 2 Cups Chopped Spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise (check ingredients for Whole30 compliance if on this diet – choose egg free for vegan)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- Avocado Oil (for sauteing)
- Begin by coating a deep skillet in a thin layer of avocado oil, and placing on medium heat.
- Add in 1/2 chopped onion and artichoke hearts, and saute until just beginning to crisp.
- Add in spinach and minced garlic, and saute (being sure to stir constantly to keep the garlic from burning) until spinach is beginning to wilt.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir until well combined. Allow to heat until warm.
- Once warmed, remove from heat, and serve immediately. Enjoy!