- 1/2 cup organic canned pumpkin puree (look for BPA-free boxed pumpkin, such as Pacific Natural Foods brand, if possible)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 11 dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil (such as Barlean’s), melted
- 2 pastured eggs (such as Vital Choice)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (we strongly recommend ISIS Biodynamic Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup finely chopped organic apples (keep the skins on!)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pumpkin puree, applesauce, dates, melted coconut oil, pastured eggs, water and vanilla extract in a high speed blender (such as Vitamix): process until smooth and creamy.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir the wet ingredients in with the dry. Fold in the apples and raisins.
- Transfer the batter to a 9″x5″ loaf pan. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let pumpkin bread sit for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve warm.