Wheat Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread is my new breakfast thing. Made with sprouted spelt flour, no refined sugar, superfood cacao nibs, bananas and, of course, zucchini, this loaf packs a serious nutrition punch. And it is moist, sweet and super good!
An ancient healthy grain, the sprouted spelt flour I use is not only incredibly nutritious, it also yields a light, cake-like texture to the Chocolate Zucchini Bread. And the fact that it is sprouted makes it easier to digest.
Make it a Superfood Chocolate Zucchini Bread
In addition to using the sprouted spelt flour, I take the nutritional content up another notch by using cacao nibs rather than conventional chocolate chips. Peeled and crumbled from whole cacao beans, cacao nibs are “nature’s chocolate chips”–pure and clean. They are incredibly rich in antioxidants, iron and magnesium too!
What if you want to use conventional chocolate chips? That works too! I suggest dairy-free Enjoy Life Foods brand if you want to use regular chocolate chips.
Can’t get enough of the zucchini-chocolate combo? Check out these incredibly delicious Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies from my friend Melissa over at My Whole Food Life.
On with the recipe…
How to Make Wheat Free Chocolate Zucchini BreadPrint
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (I prefer sprouted spelt flour, such asOne Degree)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 organic (pastured eggs (such as Vital Farms))
- 3 tablespoons organic (extra virgin coconut oil (such as Barleans))
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (patted dry with paper towels)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs (such as Navitas Naturals)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil an 8” x 4” loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix) add the banana, maple syrup, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract; process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the wet ingredients in with the dry. Carefully fold in the zucchini, raisins and cacao nibs.
- Bake for 38 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool zucchini bread on a wire wrack before slicing. Serve warm.
Be sure to pat the zucchini dry after shredding it, otherwise you could end up with a soggy zucchini bread!