Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips – With zucchini season arriving, I just knew I had to get a Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips ready for you to try. After a few trials (and errors!) here’s the best recipe for local, in-season Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips.
How to Make Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips That is HEALTHY!
A few slices of this Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips is my new favorite breakfast. It’s a make-ahead recipe with plenty to store in the freezer or enjoy over a few days.
With zucchini back in season, it’s the perfect time to grab a few from the organic section or stop by your local farm stand. This recipe calls for 3 cups of zucchini, but if you add more – it won’t hurt the recipe at all. Just be sure to squeeze out the excess liquid after shredding.
You definitely don’t want mushy bread. But it will be moist and very tasty.
Perfect Combination of Seasonings Makes this Bread Popular!
In my recipe ingredients, I am using a combination of nutmeg, cinnamon and pure vanilla extract. By design, this zucchini bread with chocolate chips is going to hit several flavor notes instantly.
Use Cassava Flour Instead of White or Wheat Flour – Naturally Grain and Gluten Free
Not Heard of Cassava Flour? If you have not yet heard of cassava flour, I talk more about it in the article of the recipe for Gluten Free and Dairy Free Brownies.
Cassava flour is made from yuca. Unlike tapioca flour, cassava flour uses the WHOLE root, not just the extracted starch, so it is nutritionally superior. I have really gotten into using cassava flour lately and I think it is a flour you will start to see more and more frequently in gluten free recipes.
If you don’t have a bag of Otto’s around, you can always use our second favorite King Arthur gluten free flour – the adjustment is included in the ingredients below.
Make Your Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips a Superfood!
Made with cassava flour, no refined sugar, superfood cacao nibs (or chocolate chips), bananas and, of course, zucchini, this loaf packs a serious nutrition punch. And it is moist, sweet and super good!
In addition to using cassava flour, I take the nutritional content up another notch. By using nutrient-dense cacao nibs rather than conventional chocolate chips. Peeled and crumbled from whole cacao beans, cacao nibs are “nature’s chocolate chips”. Both pure and clean. They are incredibly rich in antioxidants, iron and magnesium too!
You can buy cacao nibs from Whole Foods Market, but you can also order from Thrive Market and Vitacost.
I suggest dairy-free Enjoy Life Foods brand if you want to use regular chocolate chips.
Can’t get enough of the zucchini-chocolate combo? Check out these incredibly delicious Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies from my friend Melissa over at My Whole Food Life.
Boost Your Food with More Overall Vegetable Nutrition
We are always finding ways to add more vegetables to our recipes. You may be thinking that this is not a simple task. But, it is easier than you might think.
In addition to this recipe for Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips, here are a few more kid-friendly recipes that sneak in a few extra vegetable servings:
- Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- Gingerbread Spice Cake
- Fluffy Banana Pancake Recipe
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Apple Carrot Bread Recipe
Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and naturally sweet. Walnuts and chocolate chips boost the flavor!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 10–12 1x
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cassava flour or 3 cups gluten free flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil 2 – 8” x 4” loaf pans, 6 mini loaves or 18 muffin tins with paper cups. Or a combination of these!
- In a large batter bowl, combine the coconut sugar, oil, banana, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cassava flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry mixture and stir together until just combined.
- Place the grated zucchini in a piece of cheesecloth or paper towel and squeeze out excess liquid. Then, fold into the large mixing bowl mixture with the chocolate chips.
- Add the batter to the baking dish of your choice — bake for 38-40 minutes for large loaf pans, 32-35 minutes for mini loaf pans or 22-30 minutes for muffins.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool zucchini bread with chocolate chips on a wire wrack before slicing. Serve warm.
Last Step! If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Keywords: Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips