When you want something sweet in the morning, a warm thick slice of Whole Grain Apple Carrot Bread makes a deliciously satisfying breakfast.
A great alternative to your morning bowl of oatmeal, the wheat-free Apple Carrot Bread recipe below is 100% whole grain, dairy-free and has no refined sugar. With almost 3 full cups of fruits and vegetables from applesauce, carrots and raisins, it’s also filled to the brim with phytonutrients, antioxidants and fiber. Might as well have another slice (wink.)
But anyway you slice it, let’s be frank, what always matters most with homemade bread is taste and texture. If it isn’t moist and pleasantly sweet, homemade bread can easily be relegated to the rubbish pile. But worry not, the Apple Carrot Bread is one ultra-tasty and super moist recipe that you won’t be throwing out anytime soon!
I also love that its a recipe you can make in advance. If you happened to read my article, “Manage Mornings Better with Make Ahead Clean Cuisine Breakfasts”, on TODAY Parenting, then you know these days I am all about make-ahead breakfast recipes that help reduce morning stress.
As for the ingredients, if you’ve stocked your pantry using our Clean Cuisine Kitchen Shape Up (Click HERE to download for Free!) then you probably already have everything you need on hand to make the Apple Carrot Bread right now.
The only two ingredients you may be missing are the sprouted spelt flour and the superfood unrefined red palm oil, both of which I only recently started using…
- Sprouted Spelt Flour. Sprouting releases all the vital nutrients stored within whole grains and so any grain that has been sprouted is always the most nutrient-dense choice. Sprouting boosts key vitamins and minerals and also enhances digestibility. I especially love sprouted spelt flour for its light and cake-like baking qualities. One Degree Organics is the sprouted spelt flour I use. Note: Whole wheat flour (I prefer Biodynamic Whole Wheat Flour) also works perfectly fine for this Carrot Bread recipe.
- Unrefined Red Palm Oil. Unbelievably rich in antioxidants, unrefined red palm oil has a very neutral flavor profile and plays a critical role in keeping the bread moist. If you aren’t totally up on unrefined red palm oil click HERE to learn more. If you don’t have red palm oil on hand though, you can always substitute organic extra virgin coconut oil.
Ok! Let’s get baking…Print
- 2 cups sprouted spelt flour (or whole wheat flour, such as Isis Biodynamic)
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 organic (pastured eggs (such as Vital Farms))
- 1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unrefined red palm oil (or organic, extra virgin coconut oil)
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup steamed chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, unrefined sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix), add the eggs, hemp milk, maple syrup, oil, applesauce and steamed carrots; process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry. Stir in the raisins and walnuts.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
P.S. If you have a favorite healthy make-ahead breakfast recipe, please leave a comment below and tell me all about it!
What’s For Dinner?
Check Out What’s Cooking In Our Clean Cuisine Dinners Cookbook!