Perfect for quiche or not-too-sweet fruity desserts, this savory gluten free pie crust recipe is incredibly easy to make (no rolling pins necessary!)
The crust is made with almond flour and two different whole grain flours; brown rice flour and millet flour. I even managed to sneak in a full 1/4 cup of chia seeds. Not only do the chia seeds boost omega-3’s, fiber and overall nutrition, they serve a culinary purpose too because they help the crust bind together.
It is also good to know that the crust can be prepared one hour ahead, or the day before.
Also, ideally your gluten free pie crust recipe would be baked in a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom (I prefer the French-made Gobble tinned-steel tart pan), as this will make cutting the quiche super clean and easy. However, if you do not have a tart pan then a standard 9-inch pie dish will work fine.
And, if you need a good quiche recipe to fill your savory crust, check out my recipe Dairy Free Quiche with Spinach and Artichoke.Print
Savory Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe with Chia Seeds
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup millet flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 6 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil (such as Barlean’s, at room temperature)
- 1 organic (pastured egg plus 1 egg white (such as Vital Farms))
- 5 tablespoons water
- Make the dough in a stand mixer (I love the KitchenAid Artisan Series): Combine the three flours, chia seeds and salt. Add the extra virgin coconut oil, one tablespoon at a time and mix on medium speed until crumbles form. Add the whole egg (but not the egg white) and continue to mix, until egg is well blended into the flour mixture. Keeping the mixer on, add one tablespoon of water at a time, until the dough detaches from the bowl. Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disk, and wrap in a cheese cloth (Note: we use cheese cloth as a safer alternative to plastic wrap). Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Clear a large work surface and lightly dust with brown rice flour. Roll out the dough to an 11-inch circle and then fit it into a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom and trim the edges. (Alternatively, a 9-inch pie pan can be used.) Use your fingertips to press the dough into the tart mold/ pie dish and use a fork to poke small holes all over the bottom. Cover the dough with parchment paper and top it with pie weights or dried beans.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and weights and brush the crust with the egg white. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Note: Once you remove the crust from the oven, its is considered “pre-baked” and ready to be filled with a quiche or pie filling and then baked again according to recipe directions.