Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread – If you’re looking for an Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread that is gluten, dairy, and refined-sugar free, I’ve got you covered!
However, I can’t in good conscience not warn you that once you make this recipe the first time, you may just find yourself spending much more time in the kitchen than usual. Since I first created this Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread last week, I’ve had constant requests from my husband for batch after batch. You’ve been warned. Ready for the full recipe? Keep reading!
Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread
This Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread really is just that good! Soft and doughy rolls coated in cinnamon sugar, and topped with a cream cheese icing, I literally can’t think of anything better! It’s a great recipe for get togethers and parties, as it easily pulls apart into perfectly portioned finger foods everyone will love!
In true Clean Cuisine fashion, this Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread sticks to only clean, real ingredients. Of course what makes it fit into a clean eating diet are the swaps I made along the way.
The ingredients swaps required to make this Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread gluten, dairy, and refined-sugar free weren’t actually all that complicated! Here were the main swaps I made to make this recipe healthy!
Swap All Purpose Flour for Whole Grain Gluten Free Flour
One of the biggest problems with gluten, is that it’s just simply not what it use to be. So no, a huge surge in gluten intolerances didn’t just randomly happen for no good reason. Gluten has been so genetically modified, treated with pesticides, and tampered with over the years. Because of this, it has become incredibly difficult to digest, and pro-inflammatory for a huge percentage of the population.
Because of this, I stick to gluten free flours, and have found so many health improvements because of it! Don’t want to deal with the hassle of conversions? A measure-for-measure flour will make your life so much easier!
Swap Refined Sugar for Natural Sweeteners
The vast majority of Americans are highly addicted to refined-sugar (one of the most inflammatory carbs), and there’s a reason for this! Refined-sugar is snuck into nearly all of our processed food products. From salad dressings, to yogurts, to on-the-go smoothies, refined sugar is in nearly everything. Thankfully, we have a single trick to help you curb refined-sugar cravings, and get your body back on track.
In order to keep a recipe sweet, yet still healthy, use unrefined natural sweeteners that contain nutrients. Then you can create a healthy sweet treat.
In this recipe, I used coconut sugar in the bread and sauce, and maple syrup in the icing as my sweeteners. Full of nutrition, yet still SO sweet and delicious!
Swap Butter for Coconut Oil
Around 7 years ago, I gave up dairy entirely, and have never looked back! Despite the inflammatory effects dairy may have, alongside causing other health concerns, in my mind, there’s simply no need for it! There are just so many good, easily-accessible dairy-free products out there these days that you really don’t miss out on a thing (of course, except of the negative effects of dairy).
Instead of butter, I always opt for coconut oil as an easy and one-for-one replacement! And to address all the controversy around coconut oil, YES, coconut oil is healthy for you!
Personally, I don’t even notice the difference. Of course, if you do want more of a buttery taste, you can opt for a healthy butter alternative like the cashew-based ones Miyoko’s offers.
Swap Cream Cheese for Plant-Based Cream Cheese
Many monkey bread recipes don’t call for a cream cheese icing. Personally, I think it makes it ten times better! Like mentioned above, I avoid dairy for a variety of health purposes. Thankfully, there are so many plant-based cream cheese options out there, it’s super easy to find an alternative! You can easily make a coconut cream cheese from home, or if you’re short on time, buy a vegan cream cheese from the store! And while the vegan cream cheese products you buy from the store aren’t perfect on ingredients, they’re definitely a much better option than real dairy in my opinion!
That’s it! Those few easy swaps are all it took to turn your average sugar-filled monkey bread recipe into this healthy Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread I’m sharing with you today.
Ready to make it for yourself? Let’s get into it!
Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread
If you’re looking for an Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread that is gluten, dairy, and refined-sugar free, I’ve got you covered!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 pastured egg
- 1/2 cup melted virgin coconut oil or vegan butter
- 3 cups measure-for-measure gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
CINNAMON SUGAR GLAZE **SEE NOTES
- 3/4 cup virgin coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese *see notes
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350ºF, and lining a loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Place 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar in 1 cup of warm water in a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Sprinkle on yeast (do not stir), and allow to dissolve for around 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 egg, melted coconut oil, and once dissolved, yeast mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add in gluten free flour, and baking powder.
- Roll dough into medium-sized balls, and set aside.
Cinnamon Sugar Glaze
- Combined melted coconut oil or vegan butter, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and vanilla into a small bowl. Mix until well combined and coconut sugar has dissolved enough to form a thick paste.
- Split the Cinnamon Sugar Glaze into two bowls, leaving one uncontaminated from the raw dough for drizzling and dipping afterwards.
- Dip and coat prepared dough balls in Cinnamon Sugar Glaze, and place in loaf pan.
- Stack into a bread shape, and repeat until all dough is gone (mine made around 14 balls).
- Place in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until dough is turning a golden color (check at 25 minutes, and again at 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven, and let cool. *While bread is in the oven, begin making your Cream Cheese Icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Combine cream cheese and maple syrup. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Once Monkey Bread has cooled, drizzle on top, and enjoy!
*You can easily make a coconut cream cheese from home, or if you’re short on time, buy a vegan cream cheese from the store! And while the vegan cream cheese products you buy from the store aren’t perfect on ingredients, they’re definitely a much better option than real dairy in my opinion!
**The amounts used in the Cinnamon Sugar Glaze leave enough to drizzle, or dip after the bread is finished. If you do not want extra, cut the recipe in half.
Keywords: Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread