Originally created as a last-minute idea, this recipe for crab cakes has become one of my family’s new favorite weeknight seafood dinners.
It all started a few weeks ago when I invited friends for dinner but then ran out of time to go to the store. I have plenty of Meat Free Monday recipes I could have served, but these were friends who I knew were not super big into vegetarianism. I didn’t want to just make a pasta dinner but I also didn’t have any meat or fish thawed. The only thing I had was 1/2 a pound of crab meat in the refrigerator. I immediately thought of making the recipe for my favorite crab cakes, but that one called for twice the amount of crab meat I had on hand. I was just about to settle on my black bean burger recipe when I got the idea of mixing the crab with the black beans…
The Recipe for Crab Cakes with Black Beans Was Born!
I have always disliked crab cake recipes that use a lot of filler, so I was initially a little nervous that the addition of black beans might not work out too well. Luckily I was wrong!
Even though this recipe has exactly half the amount of crab meat as my regular crab cake recipe, you don’t get the feeling you are missing out at all. In fact, I actually think the soft and moist consistency of the black beans improves the overall texture of the crab cakes.
I should also add that if you are on a budget, adding the black beans cuts the price of the recipe in half. Considering crab meat is rather pricey, it is definitely a perk.
Also, it really is just as easy to make a single batch as a double batch. I make this recipe in double batches and put the leftovers in the fridge. Leftovers keep for about two days.
And finally, if you haven’t eaten a cold crab cake on toast with sliced tomato and garlic spread, then you are really missing out 😉
- 1 can (15 ounces, BPA-free black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crab meat (picked over)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko crumbs (see notes below for gluten free option)
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 organic (pasture-raised eggs (such as Vital Farms), whisked)
- Macadamia nut oil OR organic (unrefined red palm oil, for cooking)
- Add the black beans to a medium sized mixing bowl and use a potato masher to roughly mash. Mix in the crab meat, panko crumbs, cilantro, Old Bay Seasoning and crushed garlic. Gently fold in the egg and mix until ingredients are just combined (do not over mix!)
- Scoop the crab mixture into 1/3-cup mounds and lightly pack into individual patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the crab cakes and cook over medium heat until slightly toasted and heated through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the crab cakes to plates and serve.
For gluten free crab cakes, toast 1 1/2 pieces of whole grain gluten free bread and process into crumbs using a min food processor.
LOOKING FOR MORE CLEAN EATING DINNER RECIPES?
If you liked the recipe for Crab Cakes with Black Beans, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.
Write description of recipe in recipe box
Review recipe —read it again!