- 1 can (15 ounces, BPA-free black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crab meat (picked over)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko crumbs (see notes below for gluten free option)
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 organic (pasture-raised eggs (such as Vital Farms), whisked)
- Macadamia nut oil OR organic (unrefined red palm oil, for cooking)
- Add the black beans to a medium sized mixing bowl and use a potato masher to roughly mash. Mix in the crab meat, panko crumbs, cilantro, Old Bay Seasoning and crushed garlic. Gently fold in the egg and mix until ingredients are just combined (do not over mix!)
- Scoop the crab mixture into 1/3-cup mounds and lightly pack into individual patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the crab cakes and cook over medium heat until slightly toasted and heated through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the crab cakes to plates and serve.
For gluten free crab cakes, toast 1 1/2 pieces of whole grain gluten free bread and process into crumbs using a min food processor.