Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay – After umpteen revisions, I finally came up with the best crab cake recipe with Old Bay. The best part is that it’s made without dairy, gluten and refined oil. Which means, it tastes good and is much healthier.
A Healthier Version: Delicious Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay
I put a lot of effort into trying to come up with this tasty recipe. Along with Key Lime Pie, crab cakes are one of our absolute favorite foods. Over the years, I have tried countless crab cake recipes, mostly in various restaurants.
But let me just say, a traditional crab cake recipe with old bay is not healthy. Old Bay seasoning, that we’ll get into in a minute is amazing. But all of the unhealthy ingredients in classic crab cakes are not. Plus, don’t get me started on the fryer oil.
How to Make a Healthy Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay
But, the difference between us and them is that the recipe below is gluten free, dairy free, has no refined flour, no refined oils. Which means not a single not-good-for-you ingredient. It’s a clean eating crab cake all the way…
Clean eating aside, the biggest complaint I always had with restaurant-style crab cakes is that they typically scrimp big time on the crab. Sometimes they’ll even use instead. Rest assured my crab cake recipe is not skimpy on crab meat.
Use Old Bay as the BEST Seasoning in this Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay
With some notes from my mouth-watering, Old Bay-seasoned Salmon Burger Recipe, I made this recipe for Salmon Salad really come to life.
If you don’t already own a can of Old Bay seasoning — stop reading and go add it to your grocery list. We use it in a wide variety of recipes here at Clean Cuisine and it’s become one of my favorite seasonings. Which means, you’ll be seeing it a lot more lately.
More Old Bay Seasoned Recipes:
- Shrimp and Grits Southern-Style Recipe
- Party style Blood Mary Mix — loaded with flavors, including Old Bay.
- Recipe for Salmon Burgers
Homemade Mayo is the #1 Secret to this Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay
In addition to not skimping on the crab, I also don’t like to use cheap tasting store-bought mayonnaise either. Not only does store-bought mayo not taste good but there is not a single brand of mayo I can recommend.
If you want to make the very best crab cake recipe, you also have to make your own mayo. Don’t freak out though, this is not at all difficult to do! REAL mayo is traditionally made with raw egg yolks, which I just can’t bring myself to use for safety reasons. In theory if the eggs are from pasture-raised chickens the risk of salmonella drops significantly. However, I just don’t want to take the risk.
Make Homemade Vegan Mayo in no Time!
Instead I make my homemade mayo with a combination of raw cashews and raw macadamia nuts instead. It’s just so much safer and the mayo still tastes amazing. Far better than anything you could possibly get from a jar that has been sitting on the grocery store shelf for who knows how long.
And really, making your own mayo definitely makes a difference in the ultimate taste of the crab cake recipe. Homemade mayo is also essential for the quality of the dipping sauce too (the dipping sauce recipe is right beneath the crab cake recipe below.) You don’t want to skip the dipping sauce either. Trust me!
Favorite Side Dishes to Serve with these Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay
Some quick and easy summer side dishes to pair with this crab cake recipe with old bay puts the highlight on the crab. Check out these simple dishes that pair so well with the old bay seasoning and the relaxing summer vibe:
- Recipe for Cornbread Muffins
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips served with Delightful Guacamole
Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay
This Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay is the BEST Crab Cake recipe ever and it’s healthy. Crab cakes are gluten and dairy free, no refined oils.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay Ingredients
- 1 pound cooked wild caught crab meat
- 2 slices toasted gluten free whole grain bread, toasted*
- 1/4 cup Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 organic egg, such as Vital Farms
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1–2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce or hot sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Organic coconut oil, for the skillet
Crab Cake Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1–2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce or hot sauce, to taste
Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay Instructions
- Place the toast in a small food processor or finely chop into breadcrumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine the crab meat, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley and dill. Set aside.
- In a small batter bowl, combine the mayo, egg, old bay, sriracha and lemon juice. Combine with a small whisk until smooth. Add the mayo mixture to the crab mixture and combine ingredients well.
- Cover the bowl and let firm in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to eat, form the crab cake mixture into 8 equal patties, compacting them a bit so everything sticks together.
- Wipe a large skillet with the coconut oil and heat over medium-high. Cook crab cakes until crispy on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce.
Crab Cake Dipping Sauce Instructions
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Or use a small food processor.
- Serve in small dipping bowls along with the crab cakes.
*You can substitute the gluten free bread with a 1/2 cup of whole grain, gluten free breadcrumbs. Using toast is typically healthier and much cheaper.
Keywords: Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay