Cake for breakfast! This blackberry-studded “clean” Banana Tray Bake Cake is is the ideal antidote to winter’s gray, blustery mornings.
Ok, so I don’t live in “wintry” a city like Boston or Chicago, but now that we are past Thanksgiving and now that it is finally below 90 degrees here in so sunny south Florida, I feel like it is time to start thinking of winter recipes. Studded with jewel-like blackberries, this tray bake cake just looks like the holidays to me. It would be perfect for a make-ahead Christmas morning treat, tree decorating party or even a cleaner cookie alternative for Santa 😉
Tray Bake Cake with Energy Bar Nutritional Perks!
This was actually the first time I ever made a tray bake recipe, but it was just as easy as baking any other type of cake. Except unlike with conventional cakes, this one is loaded with antioxidant and phytonutrient-rich fruit. It also sneaks in hemp nutrition, is made with 100% whole grains and has no refined oil, no dairy and no refined sugar. Packed with energy bar-like nutritional perks, cake for breakfast can now be a thing.
Although we are not gluten free in our house, if you need to make it gluten free you can simply by swap brown rice flour for the spelt flour.
This banana tray bake cake with blackberries is a cross between banana bread and cake. Made with 100% whole grains, no refined sugar, no refined oil and lots of antioxidant-rich fruit, it tastes like dessert but is nutritious enough to serve for breakfast. ***Gluten free option***
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (I like One Degree Organic ***see gluten free option in notes below***)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 bananas (mashed)
- 1/4 cup hemp milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup organic (extra virgin coconut oil)
- 2 pasture-raised egg yolks (such as Vital Farms)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 pasture-raised egg whites (such as Vital Farms)
- 2 pints fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously grease a large baking sheet (12 x 16 inches) with coconut oil.
- Put the oats in a food processor and process into flour. To the food processor, add the millet flour, almond flour, spelt flour (or brown rice flour) and baking powder. Process until ingredients are well blended. Transfer dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- To a blender, add the mashed bananas, hemp milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, egg yolks and vanilla; process until smooth and creamy. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and mix well to combine.
- To the blender, add the egg whites and process for 2 1/2 minutes, or until frothy. Fold the egg whites in with the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with blackberries. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
To make the tray cake gluten free you’ll want to swap spelt flour for brown rice flour.
Looking for More Organic Recipes?
If you liked the Tray Bake Cake, be sure to check out our Clean Cuisine Superfood Cookbook (only $2.99 as a digital download). The book includes 40 superfood desserts, soups, salad dressings, smoothies, sauces, dips and more!