This banana tray bake cake with blackberries is a cross between banana bread and cake. Made with 100% whole grains, no refined sugar, no refined oil and lots of antioxidant-rich fruit, it tastes like dessert but is nutritious enough to serve for breakfast. ***Gluten free option***
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (I like One Degree Organic ***see gluten free option in notes below***)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 bananas (mashed)
- 1/4 cup hemp milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup organic (extra virgin coconut oil)
- 2 pasture-raised egg yolks (such as Vital Farms)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 pasture-raised egg whites (such as Vital Farms)
- 2 pints fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously grease a large baking sheet (12 x 16 inches) with coconut oil.
- Put the oats in a food processor and process into flour. To the food processor, add the millet flour, almond flour, spelt flour (or brown rice flour) and baking powder. Process until ingredients are well blended. Transfer dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- To a blender, add the mashed bananas, hemp milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, egg yolks and vanilla; process until smooth and creamy. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and mix well to combine.
- To the blender, add the egg whites and process for 2 1/2 minutes, or until frothy. Fold the egg whites in with the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with blackberries. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
To make the tray cake gluten free you’ll want to swap spelt flour for brown rice flour.