Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher – Get an energy boost with this Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher that’s rich in antioxidants and catechins from the green tea. This recipe is super simple to make, delicious and much healthier than the one from Starbucks. With just 5 ingredients and a high speed blender, you can make this Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher in less than 10 minutes.
How to Make a Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher
Dragon fruit seems to be the recent “health fruit” craze lately and Starbucks has helped catapult the interest. This mango dragon fruit refresher is just that — a delicious refresher without all of the added sugar and preservatives.
Our version is simple:
- 2 cups green tea, chilled – see below how to make green tea!
- 2 – 3.5oz packets of frozen pureed dragonfruit, I love the Pitya brand found in the frozen fruit section of most major grocers
- 1/2 cup frozen mango, you can also swap this for frozen pineapple
- 1 tablespoon organic acai powder or goji powder, a superfood boost
- 1–2 tablespoons organic agave, a deliciously natural liquid sweetener
Load everything into a high speed blender and puree on high for about 1 minute to get the mango dragon fruit refresher well combined and smooth.
Dragonfruit Health Benefits
In the Starbucks version of this Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher, you’re going to only get about 1 tablespoon of freeze dried dragonfruit. Whereas, in our version below, you’re getting almost a 1/4 cup per serving of 100% dragonfruit puree.
Here are the top 3 dragonfruit health benefits that should drive you to buying 100% dragonfruit packets from your freezer section and adding to your morning smoothies.
#1: Low in Calories but Rich in Nutrients
One cup of dragonfruit is only 130 calories — but is super rich in vitamins, minerals, polyphenols, carotenoids and betacyanins.
#2: Rich in Antioxidants like Vitamin C for Immune Boosting
Dragonfruit health benefits also includes high doses of vitamin C, beta-carotene, lycopene and betalain. Interestingly enough, diets that are high in antioxidants have a reduced risk of chronic disease.
#3: Dragonfruit is High in Fiber
As recommended, it’s ideal to get 25 grams of fiber for women and 38 grams for men per day. In just 1 cup of dragonfruit, there are 7 grams of fiber which helps to support healthy digestion.
How to Make Green Tea in 3 Easy Steps
The Starbucks version of the Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher is loaded with unhealthy additives: lots of sugar, green coffee flavoring and rebaudiside plus white grape juice concentrate. Huh? Yes, it alarmed me too.
INGREDIENTS: Ice, Mango Dragonfruit Refreshers Base [Water, Sugars (Sugar, White Grape Juice Concentrate), Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Natural Green Coffee Flavor, Rebaudiside A], Freeze Dried Dragonfruit Pieces
Instead of using green coffee flavoring (whatever that is!), I opened for a healthy green tea base that is loaded with health benefits. Plus, making green tea is quick and easy – especially with our new non-toxic Xtrema 2.5 Quart Tea Kettle.
Step 1: Heat Filtered Water in a Tea Kettle
I always use natural spring water or filtered water when making tea to reduce the toxins that could be in our water. In addition, I now only use my Xtrema 2.5 Quart Tea Kettle. It’s comforting to know that my tea is being made in a non-toxic tea kettle. Over high heat, place the water in the kettle and in less than 5 minutes your tea water should be nice and bubbling.
Step 2: Place Green Tea Bags Into a Glass Measuring Bowl
To make steeping tea easier and measuring done all in one, I use a Small Measuring Bowl with lid and measurement markers on the side. Just toss in 4 green tea bags into the bottom of the bowl while you wait for the water to boil.
Step 3: Steep Tea with a Lid
The best thing you can do when steeping tea is to add a lid. It helps maintain the heat while the tea steeps. Steep for 2-3 minutes.
Get a Superfood Boost with Acai or Goji Powder
Whenever possible, I love to add in some additional superfood boosts. For this mango dragon fruit refresher, add in 1 tablespoon of organic acai powder or goji powder to get the nutrient boost. The powder has a fruit flavor to it and will taste delicious mixed in with the frozen mango and dragonfruit.
Several of our smoothie recipes have one of these natural superfood boosts, but you can play around with the flavors and add in the superfood your body needs. Be sure to pick up the organic version to reduce toxins:
- Acai Powder
- Cacao Powder
- Camu Camu Powder
- Grass Fed Collagen
- Golden Flaxseeds
- Hemp Hearts
- Maca Powder
- Pomegranate Powder
- Spirulina Powder
- Turmeric Root Powder
Favorite Starbucks Copycat Drinks
Slowly but surely, we are adding some of our favorite Starbucks drinks to our website. Making them clean – gluten free, dairy free and always naturally sweetened. Here’s some of my favorites:
- Iced Vanilla Latte – If you’re looking for a Monday morning pick-me-up, then our Iced Vanilla Latte Starbucks Copycat is just what you need.
- Peppermint Mocha – This recipe is gut-friendly, and a holiday drink everyone can enjoy. It’s free from dairy, gluten, and refined-sugar, and is totally paleo and vegan!
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – Skip the Starbucks line, and make your very own Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade! Free of dairy, gluten, and refined-sugar.
- Chilled Eggnog Latte – No longer available at Starbucks, this chilled eggnog latte is going to make your day. Made with coconut milk, dates and maple syrup.
Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher
Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher is a healthier version that the one from Starbucks. Made with just 5 ingredients and a high speed blender…
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- In a high speed blender, add the green tea, dragonfruit packets, frozen mango and either the acai or goji powder. Blend on high until well combined.
- Depending on your sweetness preference, add in 1 tablespoon of agave and blend again. Check the level of sweetness before adding in a second tablespoon.
- Serve chilled.
Keywords: Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher