Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade: Skip the Starbucks line, and make your very own Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade! Free of dairy, gluten, and refined-sugar, this cleaned up version of the classic PSL is a much healthier option that will leave you feeling full of energy, without the sugar crash.
All you need for this recipe is a high speed blender, 8 easy ingredients, and 5 minutes of time. Ready to learn more? Keep reading!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade
Made from pumpkin and spice and everything nice, our clean Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade has no refined sugar, no dairy and nothing refined, funky or fake. It’s the perfect pick-me-up for the cooler months if you’re trying to follow a clean eating diet, but don’t want to miss out on your tasty holiday drinks!
If you are Pumpkin Spice Latte devote, I am pretty sure Starbucks would be the one to thank for this seasonal coffee phenomenon (now known by an acronym, PSL). With millions upon millions sold each year, clearly people have a thing for Pumpkin Spice Lattes.
Thankfully, making a Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade is actually much easier than it seems! With over 20 ingredients in a Starbucks PSL, our homemade version uses only 8, clean and simple ingredients!
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade
By this point, you’re probably wondering how we are able to nearly replicate a classic Starbucks PSL with nearly 1/3 of the ingredients. It’s quite simple actually! We simply use dairy alternatives, swapped refined sugars for natural sweeteners, and ditched the “natural flavors” for transparent ingredients we know and love.
After this, we simply threw it all into a high-speed blender, and blended until smooth. Viola, your very own homemade PSL. What a dream!
Here’s a breakdown of all of the ingredients we used in this simple, but delicious fall and winter drink…
Base: Coconut Milk + Coffee
With so many dairy-free alternatives these days, there is simply no reason to continue drinking harmful dairy filled milk. In this recipe, we chose to use Homemade Coconut Milk, but feel free to swap for any dairy-free milk you prefer!
Other great options for dairy-free milk include Hemp Milk, Almond Milk, Cashew Milk, or oat milk!
As for the coffee, opt for a fresh, no added sugar brand. We’ll dive further into clean coffee sourcing later in this article.
Natural Sweetener: Medjool Dates
Why choose refined sugar when you have nature’s sugar as an option?! Instead of leaving you inflamed, bloated, and waiting for that inevitable sugar crash, dates are a great natural sweetener option with tons of fiber, nutrients, and flavor!
We opted for medjool dates, as they are the sweetest, smoothest, and creamiest dates, which make them great to bake and blend with!
Pumpkin Spice Flavor: Pumpkin Puree, Pumpkin Spice, + Ginger
Instead of using vague terms like “natural flavors”, our Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade uses real ingredients. These ingredients include pumpkin puree, a Homemade Pumpkin Spice blend, and fresh ginger. YUM! You’ll definitely notice a difference in the fresh flavor of our PSL.
A dash of vanilla was also added to the latte. This brings out the pumpkin spice flavors that make this drink so tasty.
Top it Off: Whipped Coconut Cream
While completely optional, there’s no better way to top off a PSL than with a bit of whipped cream! Sticking with our dairy-free theme, making your very own Whipped Coconut Cream form home is actually very quick and easy!
No time to make Homemade Whipped Coconut Cream? While you’ll be hard pressed to find a truly clean dairy-free whipped cream in stores without added sugar and emulsifiers, they’re definitely available in a pinch.
Is Coffee Healthy?
If you’re wondering if coffee and healthy eating can go hand in hand, the resounding answer is YES! You absolutely do not have to completely step away from coffee to follow a clean eating diet. While too much of anything is bad (especially when it comes to overloading on caffeine), a bit of coffee each day can actually present some health benefits! This of course, is only if you’re choosing the right types of coffee.
Coffee and Mycotoxins
Did you know that the vast majority of coffee in the world is covered in mold and mycotoxins? The reason so many people have issues with coffee is often not due to the coffee itself. Instead, these reactions are often due to the mycotoxins found on the beans.
Even worse, conventional decaf coffee often offers the highest percentage of mold and mycotoxins. This is due to the lack of caffeine that may help to ward off some of these harmful toxins.
When you’re drinking conventionally grown, stored, and packaged coffee without a company explicitly sharing how they test for toxins and mold within their beans, you can place a pretty heavy bet on the fact that what you’re drinking is in some way, harmful to your body.
Best Coffee Brands
With all of this negative talk about the toxicity of conventional coffee, it’s important that we share alternatives for enjoying clean and flavorful coffee. While few and far between, there are more and more brands stepping up to the plate to offer healthier products!
Swiss Water Process Decaf Coffee: Don’t handle caffeine, but love the flavor and health benefits of coffee? While conventionally made decaf coffee is filled with chemicals, Swiss water process decaffeination method uses only water to remove the caffeine from coffee, leaving the consumer with a healthy, 99.9% caffeine free flavorful coffee.
The brands below offer healthy coffee for those who enjoy caffeine, as well as for those who avoid it…
- Natural Force Clean Coffee: Natural Force Coffee is my #1 favorite brand due to their extreme transparency, and impeccable flavor! Not only do they test for mold, mycotoxins, acrylamide, heavy metals, gluten and more, but they show their 3rd party tested lab results! The only brand I’ve found readily sharing this information to date, I found immediate trust with Natural Force. They’re also certified keto, paleo, vegan, organic, gluten free, and direct trade. WOW! Nature Force offers both caffeinated coffee, as well as Swiss water decaffeinated coffee.
- Bullet Proof Coffee: Bullet Proof is another great brand offering both caffeinated coffee, and decaffeinated Swiss water process coffee that tests for impurities. A perk of Bullet Proof Coffee is that you can often find it in stores!
- Purity Organic Coffee: Certified organic, and tested to be mold free, Purity Organic Coffee is incredibly popular. It is held in high regard within the health community! Their caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee are both incredibly tasty, and will leave you feeling good about what you’re putting into your body.
- Kion Coffee: Kion Coffee is speciality grade coffee, organic, tested for pesticides, yeast, mold and mycotoxins (specifically Ochratoxin A and Aflatoxin), and ethically sourced. offering superb flavor, Kion’s caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee are both great options for clean coffee!
Ready for this quick and easy healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade? Let’s get into it!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade
Free of dairy and refined-sugar, this cleaned up Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade will leave you full of energy, without the sugar crash.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Whipped coconut cream
- In a high-speed blender add the coffee, coconut milk, dates, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, ginger and vanilla. Process on high until smooth and creamy.
- Serve warm with a dollop of Whipped Coconut Cream (optional). Enjoy!
Last Step! If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Keywords: Pumpkin Spice Latte Homemade
Check out this Vanilla Latte Recipe too!
Wednesday 27th of September 2017
Loved this recipe, so yummy! Thank you! :)
Thursday 28th of September 2017
So happy you liked it Krystle! Thank you for taking the time to let me know ;)