If there was ever a time to make a Turmeric-Charged Detox Smoothie, the beginning of the new year would have to be it!
One of the best ways to rid your body of toxic overload is to consume an array of superfoods that help support natural elimination. Turmeric happens to be one of the very best superfoods for detox as it not only enhances liver function, it has even been shown to regenerate and heal a damaged liver. Having a healthy and well-functioning liver is critically important because the more problems you have with this organ, the harder it is for your body to process and eliminate toxins of any kind. In addition to detoxification, turmeric also plays a critical role in reducing inflammation.
Since some of the healing and detoxifying benefits of turmeric can be damaged or destroyed with high-heat cooking methods, no-cook recipes, such as smoothies, are one of the best ways to consume this superfood spice. And, because ginger boosts your body’s absorption of turmeric, recipes that combine the two ingredients are an excellent way to enhance bioavailability.
Turn Your Detox Smoothie Into a Popsicle!
Although making the Detox Smoothie recipe is not particularly time-consuming, I realize some people simply do not have the extra time to make a fresh smoothie every day. Freezing your smoothie and turning it into a popsicle is a super easy way to still get the benefits of the smoothie without having to make a fresh one each day. The popsicles will keep nicely for about 3 days in the freezer.
And if you don’t have the patience to wait around for your popsicle to freeze, the Zoku Quick Pop Maker (see photo) is for you!
Enhance the Detox Benefits of Your Smoothie
If you want to take the detox benefits of your smoothie up a notch, try substituting brewed Dandelion Tea for the water. Dandelion tea is excellent for boosting liver detoxification. To use dandelion tea in the Detox Smoothie recipe, simply brew the tea and then let it cool in the freezer for 10 minutes before making the smoothie.
What is the Cleanest Protein Base for Smoothies?
Fancy protein powders are not the answer. The cleanest and healthiest protein base for smoothies is simply hemp seeds. The Detox Smoothie recipe below has 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds, providing approximately 10 grams of ultra-clean protein.
Pin to your Pinterest boards to use later!
- 1 large carrot OR 1 1/2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 oranges, peel and white pith removed
- Juice from 1 whole lime
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon turmeric, Note: If you are not used to eating turmeric, start with 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 frozen banana, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup cold water OR 1/2 cup dandelion tea, chilled
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Place a small pot of water fitted with a steamer basket over the stove. Add the carrots to the steamer basket and set the heat to medium-high heat. Steam carrots for about 4 minutes, or until just tender. Remove carrots from steamer basket and transfer to the freezer to chill for 5 minutes.
- Place the chilled carrots and remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy. Drink chilled.
Want to turn your Detox Smoothie into a popsicle? See notes below!
To turn your Detox Smoothie into a popsicle, simply pour the smoothie into a popsicle mold (my favorite is the Zoku Quick Popsicle Maker) and freeze.