As much as we love the green smoothie trend, this blackberry smoothie made with hidden cauliflower is incredible. I am beginning to think a new smoothie trend could soon emerge!
This is our very first cauliflower smoothie recipe. So, I can’t say for sure that substituting cauliflower for greens will always work. It could just be beginners luck. But still, I am VERY encouraged…
No Greens On Hand, Try a Cauliflower Smoothie!
Cauliflower has been the “it” vegetable of the year. I never would have never thought to make a cauliflower smoothie had I not ran out of greens this past weekend. Some things just happen for a reason.
When it comes to making cauliflower smoothies, I do think frozen cauliflower is the way to go.
I tested this recipe twice. The first time I used frozen cauliflower because that was all I had on hand. It turned out perfect. The second time I tried fresh cauliflower and it just didn’t taste nearly as good.
I think that because frozen cauliflower is blanched just before it is frozen, it mellows out the flavor. It also makes for a better texture when pureed into a smoothie.
Cauliflower Smoothie Benefits
In comparison to green smoothies, cauliflower smoothies offer two main benefits:
- Color. Since cauliflower is obviously white and not green, it won’t turn your smoothie green.
- Different Nutrients. Dark leafy greens are just about the most nutrient-dense food on the planet. However, that doesn’t mean they are the only vegetable you should eat! A cancer-fighting cruciferous vegetable, cauliflower offers a broad spectrum of nutrients that are different than what you find in dark leafy greens.
And let’s not forget, variety is the spice of life!
Ok, time to try something new….
Blackberry Smoothie Recipe (with Hidden Cauliflower)
This hidden cauliflower Blackberry Smoothie Recipe is creamy and delicious. I may be making more cauliflower smoothies!
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Cuisine: Smoothie
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 frozen banana, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raw almond butter, like Justin’s
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3/4 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup ice
I, add the ingredients in the order listed above. Process on high speed until smooth and creamy. Serve cold.
Recipe can also be frozen into popsicles.