I first made these Slow Cooker Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers recipe a few years back. The inspiration was to create a hearty, meat-free dish with a Mexican flavor. These vibrant jumbo stuffed peppers did the trick!
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers recipe is Perfect for Meat Free Monday
If you have our Clean Cuisine book, you know we are big into doing Meat Free Mondays in our house. Since Mondays are always rather hectic for us the always seem like the perfect day of the week to pull out my low-stress, slow-cooker recipes. And that’s definitely what these Stuffed Peppers are….low stress!
This vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe is incredibly easy to make and a perfect way for black beans to hide out in a medley of south-of-the-border flavors, interesting textures and bright colors.
Stuffed Pepper recipe Side Dishes
These vegetarian stuffed peppers are a balanced meal all on their own. The recipe features whole grains, vegetables and beans. Here are a few of my favorite side dishes that would complete this meal!
- Super Easy Refined Pinto Beans
- Avocado and Edamame Hummus
- Black Bean Salad with Peaches
- Gluten Free Homemade Tortillas
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
Stuffed Peppers Perfect for Entertaining
For whatever reason, stuffed peppers always look so impressive and fun… at least I think so. They’re perfect for easygoing entertaining. And, by using the slow cooker you dramatically reduce hands-on cooking time.
One stuffed pepper is pretty much a meal by itself, but you could always add a side salad or some vegetable based soup.
So yes, saving the planet CAN actually fill you up!
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Perfect for a Meat Free Monday dinner, this recipe for Mexican Style Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers makes a hearty and delicious entrée.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 1 8-ounce can BPA-free black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 14.5-ounce can BPA-free small red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup frozen organic corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cups all-natural prepared marinara sauce
- 1 – 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 organic red bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup shredded grass-fed organic cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet to medium. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onion is just tender, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add the black beans and red beans and sauté for 3–4 minutes.
- Mix in the salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, and corn kernels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinara sauce and green chiles. Pour the marinara–green chile mixture into the skillet with the bean mixture and combine. Stir in the cilantro.
- Stuff the peppers with the bean mixture. Arrange the peppers in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook the peppers on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours. Remove the lid and top the peppers with the shredded cheese, replace the cover, and cook on high for 15 to 20 additional minutes. Allow peppers to cool 10–15 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
Hungry for More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
Check out our Clean Cuisine Dinners e-cookbook featuring a full month’s worth of shopping lists, dinner menu plans and recipes.