This Recipe for Ragout over polenta squares is family-friendly, and is ready in 20 minutes or less. I created the recipe a few years ago and the dish got such rave reviews from our guests, that it ended up in the Clean Cuisine cookbook.
Quick and Easy Ragout Recipe
One of the biggest reasons given for regularly relying on fast food for meals is a busy schedule, and a lack of time to cook. However, when it comes to our health, all these small decisions really matter. Nobody can get away with a diet rich in junk food. Whether or not you gain weight from eating fast food; most fast food lacks nutrition, promotes inflammation, and leads to health issues in the future.
That’s why we find it so important to have quick and easy recipes on hand to throw together whenever we’re in a time crunch. That’s exactly what this Ragout Recipe offers!
Using easily-sourced, canned and frozen beans and veggies, you can keep the ingredients for this recipe in your kitchen, ready to grab whenever you need an easy and nutritious meal!
Eating Clean with a Busy Schedule
But I know it is hard to “eat clean” and eat healthy all of the time. Trying to do all the healthy things you should do can be a bit much and a bit tiresome. I do “get” it. You really don’t need to knock yourself out to feed your family healthy meals. You can serve your family a healthy meal just as fast as you can go through drive-through!
If you have a few minutes to spare in the kitchen, here’s a family-friendly, nutritious dinner that kids love, especially the polenta squares. It takes no more than about 20 minutes to prepare. If you don’t want to serve it over polenta you can serve it over steamed brown or black rice.
Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
Creamy Shrimp Pasta Recipe: This delicious creamy shrimp pasta recipe makes the best comfort pasta bowl. Plus, it’s gluten free and dairy free too. YUM!
Sweet Tuna Recipe: Open a can of tuna, load it with your favorite add-ons, and you have a delicious, nutrient-dense meal in under 5 minutes. What more could you ask for?!
Best Ever Egg Salad Recipe: This is seriously the BEST Egg Salad Recipe seasoned with smoked paprika, crushed garlic, creamy mayo, relish and sea salt.
Ready for the full recipe? Let’s get into it!
Recipe for Ragout
Looking for quick and easy, healthy meals? This Recipe for Ragout over polenta squares is family-friendly, and is ready in 20 minutes or less!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- Coarse unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen butternut squash, thawed and drained of excess water
- 2 tablespoons all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can BPA-free diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans BPA-free Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Optional: Smidgen of shredded organic sharp cheddar
- Heat oil in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt; sauté for 5 minutes, or until onion is softened.
- Add the garlic and gingerroot, and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and peanut butter; stir to combine until peanut butter is well blended.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, sage, and cayenne pepper; cover and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Spoon the ragout over the individual square-shaped polenta servings (below).
- Optional: Top the ragout with a smidgen of shredded cheese before serving.
Last Step! If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
For the polenta squares:
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup corn grits (polenta)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- Pour the water and salt into a medium-size pot; bring water to a boil. Add the polenta and reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the oil.
- Oil the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch casserole; spoon the polenta into the casserole and let sit for 10 minutes, or until firm. When firm, cut polenta into four squares and place on individual plates.
Keywords: Recipe for Ragout
Clean Cuisine Challenge Day 37: Benefits of Beans and Resistant Starch
Sunday 3rd of August 2014
[…] Try this 20-minute dinner entrée of White-Bean Butternut Squash Ragout Over Polenta […]