Recipe for Cookie Dough – We all know the temptation of sneaking bites of cookie dough before they even make it into the oven. In my opinion, cookie dough just tastes so much better than the finished product! That’s why I created this Recipe for Cookie Dough, free of eggs and the danger of foodborne illnesses.
Gluten, refined-sugar, nut, and grain-free, this Recipe for Cookie Dough is also totally vegan! A quick and delicious dessert for all to enjoy. Ready for the details? Keep reading!
Recipe for Cookie Dough
We all get that sweet tooth from time-to-time. And while there’s nothing inherently wrong with enjoying sweet treats, it’s all about the ingredients you choose! Here at Clean Cuisine, we like to keep our recipes simple, and free of as many allergens as possible so all can enjoy! Often, as in this recipe, transitioning a recipe to a clean and healthy alternative takes only a few simple swaps…
Cookie Dough Ingredient Swaps
Cookie dough is quite simple. With only flour, sugar, butter, and chocolate chips as the main unhealthy ingredients, cookie dough recipes are just a couple of swaps away from their healthy transformation!
Here are the very minimal and simple swaps I chose to make this recipe clean, and full of nutrients!
Swap Wheat Flour for Cassava Flour
As you have probably noticed, a major increase has occurred in those choosing to follow a gluten free diet in the past decade. Unfortunately, this is not just a fad, or something most people are doing for fun. A gluten free diet is a major commitment, and a huge lifestyle adjustment! Most people make this drastic life change because they’re tired of feeling sick and tired all of the time!
One of the biggest problems with gluten, is that it’s just simply not what it use to be. So before you ask, a huge surge in gluten intolerances didn’t just randomly occur for no good reason. Gluten has been so genetically modified, treated with pesticides, and tampered with over the years. Because of this, it has become incredibly difficult to digest, and pro-inflammatory for a huge percentage of the population.
Because of this, I choose to maintain a gluten-free diet for my gut and autoimmune health! Instead of wheat flour, I opted for cassava flour (a grain and nut-free flour) in this recipe. Just as soft and delicious, without all the inflammatory effects!
Recipes with Cassava Flour:
- Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips: Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and naturally sweet. Walnuts and chocolate chips boost the flavor!
- Recipe for Chocolate Chip Muffins: Recipe for Chocolate Chip Muffins – the perfect breakfast for chocolate lovers. Loaded with nutrients and delicious, make a double batch.
- Recipe for Zucchini Fritters: This Recipe for Zucchini Fritters is like a “dinner pancake”. These fritters are the perfect side dish for any meal of the day!
Swap Refined-Cane Sugar for Natural Sugar
Refined-sugar is one of the most inflammatory, empty carbs out there. And living in a highly sugar-addicted society that adds sugar to quite-literally everything, it’s important we’re sourcing natural, nutrient-dense sugar sources.
In this recipe, I opted for coconut sugar and maple syrup as my sweeteners of choice. Quite neutral in flavor, and both offering some beneficial nutrients, these natural sweeteners are great choices for healthy desserts!
Recipes with Natural Sweeteners:
While our entire recipe collection is made up of desserts using only natural sugars, here are some of our current favorites!
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies: These White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are sweetened with honey. They are also free of grains, gluten, dairy, and eggs, and totally pass the credentials to be considered both SCD and paleo!
- Apple Pie Parfaits: Apple Pie Parfaits are an incredibly easy and sweet alternative to a traditional apple pie. Loaded with nutrients and sweetened naturally.
- Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread: If you’re looking for an Easy Recipe for Monkey Bread that is gluten, dairy, and refined-sugar free, I’ve got you covered!
Swap Butter for Coconut Oil
Here at Clean Cuisine, we truly believe that dairy does the body much more harm than good. Plus, there are just so many easily accessible dairy-alternatives out there, in my book, there’s no reason not to choose dairy-free!
Coconut oil is the perfect alternative to butter. Filled with healthy fats, and perfect for providing that moist and soft texture to your recipes, coconut oil is a must-have in your kitchen!
With that in mind, we know coconut oil, or coconut products in general aren’t for everyone. Craving that buttery flavor? Feel free to opt for a healthy, vegan butter alternative instead!
Recipes with Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil really is the perfect swap for butter. So much so, that you probably won’t even know the difference in a baked good! Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy coconut oil…
- Blueberry Lemon Loaf: This Blueberry Lemon Loaf offers a subtly sweet and perfectly moist healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert option!
- Monster Cookies: These cookies are loaded with oats, fruit, and seeds, meaning that they pack in just as much nutrition as they do sweetness.
- Broccoli Side Dish Recipe: If you’re looking for a garlicky, buttery, and delicious Broccoli Side Dish Recipe that’s also vegan and healthy, you’ve come to the right place!
Swap Sugar-Filled Chocolate for Healthy Chocolate
Many of us our led to believe that chocolate is an unhealthy indulgence. And while this is true for most chocolate bars you’ll buy off the shelf, cacao without any refined sugar or dairy is actually an incredibly healthy superfood!
Cacao: Cacao is the minimally processed product of cacao beans, resulting in a highly nutrient-dense, rich powder. To achieve such a high percentage of nutrient retainment, cacao undergoes a cold-press technique to remove the cacao butter. It is then roasted at low temperatures. Navita’s offers an amazing, high-quality cacao powder.
Cocoa: You might have a good idea by now, but cocoa is the highly processed form of cacao. It still maintains some of its original nutrients, but its not nearly as beneficial as its unprocessed counterpart. Cocoa powder often includes additional ingredients, preservatives, or is alkalized to reduce acidity, once again, reducing the nutrients.
While cocoa is not inherently bad, it’s just simply not as beneficial. For chocolate chips, we love the HU brand!
We simply can’t harp on cacao so highly and not offer you some of our favorite recipes with chocolate! Cacao really is one of those few foods that seem too good to be true. It’s so delicious and crave-worthy, that it truly makes you question if what you’re eating is actually clean!
Recipes with Cacao:
Well, rest assured these upcoming recipes are healthy, and are perfect for indulging in when you feel that sweet tooth coming on…
- No Bake Cookie Oatmeal: No Bake Cookie Oatmeal taste JUST like No Bake Cookies! Healthy and full of fiber, iron, magnesium, antioxidants. Make in less than 10 mins.
- Recipe for Chocolate Cookies: Packed full of plant-based protein, and rich in superfoods and antioxidants, this Recipe for Chocolate Cookies is healthy and delicious!
- Recipe for Gluten Free Brownies: Recipe for gluten free brownies are moist, chewy and SO delicious. Made with cassava flour, naturally sweetened and nutritious.
How to Enjoy this Recipe for Cookie Dough
You can enjoy this Recipe for Cookie Dough straight from the bowl, or get creative and try some of the following ideas…
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream: Simply tear your cookie dough into small pieces, and mix in with your favorite dairy and refined-sugar free ice cream! Homemade healthy chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream without all of the inflammatory properties of store-bought versions.
- Cookie Dough S’mores: A unique, yet delicious spin on s’mores. Replace your marshmallows with cookie dough for a tasty summer or fall treat!
- Cookie Dough Trail Mix: If you’re a fan of that sweet and salty combo, I have the perfect idea for you! Simply break your cookie dough into small chunks, and mix with some sweet and salty snacks of choice. Personally, I love choosing cashews, gluten-free pretzels, healthy marshmallows, coconut shreds, and dried cranberries.
Excited to try this paleo and vegan Recipe for Cookie Dough? Let’s jump in!Print
Recipe for Cookie Dough
This Recipe for Cookie Dough is a quick and delicious dessert. It’s also free of eggs, and the danger of foodborne illnesses!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2–3 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Combine cassava flour *see notes, coconut sugar, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add in coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and almond milk. Mix again.
- Place chocolate chips into mixture, and mix well.
- Enjoy immediately! **See notes
*Cassava flour unbaked contains cyanide. Otto’s Naturals, the brand we use, says this is removed from their product through peeling off the outer layer, and then cooking the cassava.They also state each batch is lab tested to ensure total safety. However, if you’re concerned, there are methods for soaking and baking!
**Cookie dough is the perfect, soft texture at room temperature. You can store in the fridge for later, but should microwave for a few seconds before enjoying for the best texture.
Keywords: Recipe for Cookie Dough