This recipe for easy zucchini fritters is guaranteed to get your family excited about eating more vegetables! The first time I served it my son had a friend over and the boys ate the entire batch before I could even get them on the dinner table.
What is a Zucchini Fritter?
Zucchini fritters are basically like savory little dinner pancakes. Of course you can also eat them for breakfast, brunch or snack. It’s the vegetable version of the potato latkes my mom always made for our family when I was growing up.
Zucchini fritters are the perfect side dish to just about any protein, but I especially love them as a side dish to grilled salmon.
Make them Gluten Free (or Not)
For Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters:
If you want to make your zucchini fritters gluten free then definitely go with cassava flour. This is sort of the new flour on the block, but ever since stumbling on it a few months ago at Whole Foods Market I have totally fallen in love. Cassava flour is gluten-free and grain-free. It’s made from the yucca root, so it is basically a vegetable flour and a good source of vitamin C and fiber too! You can learn more about the benefits of cassava flour here.
For Non Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters:
If you don’t need your zucchini fritters to be gluten free, I suggest using sprouted spelt flour.
Top Em’ Off!
And finally, although not absolutely necessary, a dollop of my dairy free sour cream is the perfect topping for zucchini fritters!
Yes, it may seem like an extra hassle to go to the effort of making homemade sour cream, but unlike conventional sour cream my version is incredibly nutrient-dense and therefore makes the zucchini fritters much more satiating. In fact, if you add the sour cream (which is made with pureed nuts and tofu), you may not even need to make an extra protein. You could just serve zucchini fritters with “sour cream” for dinner. Now that’s easy!
Pin this graphic for later!
For those of you with food allergies and food sensitivities, it’s helpful to know this recipe meets the following dietary restrictions:
Grain Free Option (use cassava flour) / Gluten Free (use cassava flour)/ Vegetarian/ Nut Free / Paleo-Friendly/ Bean Free/ Dairy Free
Recipe for Easy Zucchini Fritters
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes Inactive Time: Total Time:
- Total Time: 25 minute
- Yield: 4 1x
- Cuisine: Side Dish
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 organic, pasture-raised eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sprouted spelt flour or cassava flour for gluten/grain free (also for Whole30, Paleo, etc.)
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Organic, extra virgin coconut oil, for cooking
- Dairy Free Clean Cuisine Sour Cream, optional
1. In a large bowl, mix together the zucchini, thyme, eggs, flour and salt until thoroughly combined.
2. Heat a thin layer of oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, drop small pancake-size (about ¼ cup per fritter) dollops of the batter into the pan, taking care not to overcrowd. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom starts to brown. Flip and cook on both sides, then repeat until the batter is gone.
3. Transfer cooked fritters to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm by placing in the oven at the lowest temperature. Serve with dollop of Clean Cuisine sour cream, (if using).
For Gluten Free: Read more about the benefits of cooking with cassava flour HERE.