Watermelon Gazpacho + MoreThis summer I’ve been making fruit and veggie combo gazpacho recipes quite a bit but I’ve become particularly fond of watermelon gazpacho. Watermelon is ultra-hydrating so it’s the ideal summer food but from a culinary standpoint it also makes the perfect gazpacho soup base. In addition to the recipe below, another favorite is an unbelievably simple but super delicious Tomato Watermelon Gazpacho I make with pureed watermelon and grape tomatoes, minced carrots and fresh basil and cayenne pepper. It’s a crazy good combo. I’ve even started making watermelon beverages. One of my favorite watermelon beverages is the Watermelon “Whole” Juice I made a few months back for a summer-kick off family BBQ. I really do encourage you to think outside of the bowl with gazpacho and experiment with a variety of different fruits and vegetables. There must be 101 different ways or more to create gazpacho! It’s by far one of the simplest of soups to make but I’m hard pressed to think of anything more refreshing on a hot, steamy summer night. I especially like my watermelon gazpacho served with toasted sprouted whole grain bread dipped in avocado oil or spread with fresh avocado.
Veggie, Papaya and Watermelon Gazpacho with Jalapeno
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 cups papaya, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 cups watermelon, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small tomato, seeds removed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Cumin, to taste
- Paprika, to taste
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- Garnish: Finely chopped celery and red bell pepper
- Add papaya, watermelon, olive oil, lime juice and tomato to a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place bell pepper, carrots, celery, garlic and jalapeno pepper in a food processor and pulse several times to finely chop the vegetables. Transfer vegetable mixture to a large serving bowl.
- Pour the watermelon-papaya mixture into the bowl with the chopped vegetables. Season with cumin, paprika and salt to taste. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Garnish with finely chopped celery and red bell pepper. Serve chilled.