I had never heard about shot glass desserts until Seasons 52, a seasonally inspired fresh grill and wine bar, opened in our area a few years back. Although they are served in shot glasses, shot glass desserts do not technically have alcohol. Of course if it’s an adult-only party, there’s nothing to stop you from drizzling in a bit of Amaretto (Disaronno is my favorite) just for fun.
But really, shot glass desserts are pretty fun as-is, even without the alcohol. They are super easy to make, they look adorable and I have never yet had a party where a single one was leftover. Everybody always wants to try one!
If you are entertaining for Halloween, then the Pumpkin-Chocolate Shot Glass Dessert Recipe below is perfect for any spooky spread. The recipe is dairy-free and has no refined sugar or ingredients either.
P.S. Adding a Halloween-themed sticker to each shot glass is an extra special touch.
- For the Chocolate Layer:
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic coconut butter (such as Nutiva brand)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- For the Pumpkin Layer:
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup organic coconut butter (such as Nutiva brand)
- 11/4 cups pumpkin puree (look for BPA-free boxed pumpkin, such as Pacific Natural Foods brand)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a high speed blender, process all ingredients for the chocolate layer together until smooth and creamy. Set mixture aside.
- In a high speed blender, process all ingredients for the pumpkin layer together until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into the bottom of the shot glasses. Add the pumpkin layer. Finish with a layer of chocolate. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve cold.