In my opinion, next to eating more fruits and vegetables, adding a daily serving of beans has to rank right up there with one of the most important things you can do for your health. And this Instant Pot White Bean Soup recipe (made with dried cannellini beans), dishes up everything you could possibly want out of a bean recipe.
Even though it’s made in practically an instant (thanks to the Instant Pot!), the beans are cooked to perfection and the flavor is rich, deep and full-bodied. It takes about 15 minutes to assemble all of the ingredients and then just 5 minutes to saute the vegetables, which can be done directly in the Instant Pot cooking vessel, plus another 35 minutes to cook everything under pressure. You’ll then end up with a perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned nice big pot of white beans.
And if you eat a serving of this bean dish everyday, you could just live to 100…
“Live to 100” Instant Pot White Bean Soup Recipe
If you are familiar with the Blue Zone Diet or happened to have read the blog post I wrote for my Blue-Zone Friendly Tempeh Chili, you know why I am so enthused about the health benefits of bean-based chili recipes. That’s because people who live in the Blue Zones eat a lot of beans and Blue Zone residents happen to be considered the “world’s healthiest people.”
The Blue Zones consist of five regions in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the U.S. that researchers have identified as having the highest concentrations of centenarians (people who live to 100) in the world. If you have read our Clean Cuisine nutrition book or are familiar with our anti-inflammatory food pyramid, you know beans are the 2nd tier on the base of our pyramid. In other words, beans are a staple food I make a point to eat every single day.
Not only are beans loaded with antioxidants, fiber, phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals and plenty of super clean plant protein, they also are an excellent source of a “miracle starch” called resistant starch. Resistant starch is incredibly helpful for weight loss, weight maintenance and also for reducing inflammation (because the less body fat you have, the less systemic inflammation.) You can read more about the benefits of beans and their resistant starch HERE.
For those of you with food allergies and food sensitivities, it’s helpful to know this Instant Pot White Bean Soup Recipe meets the following dietary restrictions:
Dairy Free/ Egg Free/ Nut Free/ Grain Free/ Vegetarian/ Vegan / Soy Free
You won’t believe the depth of flavor this super fast Instant Pot White Bean Soup recipe delivers. The recipe calls for dried cannellini beans but it all comes together so quickly (you don’t even have to soak the beans)…and nothing is sacrificed!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups dried cannellini beans
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon date sugar (OR coconut palm sugar)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Add the oil to the bottom of your Instant Pot, select the SAUTE setting and heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the beans, broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and date sugar. Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to SEALING. Press the CANCEL button to reset the cooking program, then select the BEAN/ CHILI setting and set the cooking time for 35 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes, then move the Pressure Release to VENTING to release any remaining steam and open up the pot. Allow the soup to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Ladle out individual bowls, scatter with parsley and serve warm.
Keywords: white beans