This homemade Black Bean Burger recipe is going to change the way you think about black bean burgers. With plenty of flavor, loads of vegetables and a special introduction to quinoa. This may turn into your favorite burger recipe!
If you are not particularly keen on the idea of having a bean burger for your next lunch or dinner it might just be because the last one you ate came from a box.
Plant-based Veggie and Bean Burgers
The vast majority of store bought plant-based veggie and bean burgers almost always let me down. The typical store bought veggie and bean burger typically has a “rubbery texture and cardboard taste.” I won’t name names, but I can’t help but add that the ones that DO taste good typically have globs of highly refined and pro-inflammatory oil.
Luckily for anyone who is trying to eat clean and get more plant-based protein and vegetables into their diet, this delicious Black Bean Burger recipe is super-easy to make and so-delicious.
How to Make Your Black Bean Burger recipe a Complete Meal!
This is definitely my new go-to meatless burger for Meat Free Mondays. Serve these amazing black bean burgers with a bun or lettuce wrap and top with Dijon mustard, tomato, spinach leaves and a slice of red onion.
Or, if you have a few zucchini’s, just quickly spiralize the zucchini into zucchini pasta. I am crazy for my Paderno Spiralizer, by the way. Then, blanch the zucchini pasta in boiling water for 2 minutes, drained and tossed with some EVOO and sea salt and voila! This too makes the perfect side dish to black bean burger recipe.
How to Make the Perfect Black Bean Burger recipe
Some recipes call to put all of the fresh ingredients together without sauteing first. But, I did try that and it wasn’t as successful.
So, saute first. Be sure to chop well the onion, garlic, spinach and any other vegetables you decide to add. If you love red or yellow peppers, toss those in too. But gentle saute first. It releases some of the delicious flavors while making it easier for your burger to come together.
Also, if you don’t keep around fresh garlic like I do, you can substitute the garlic for garlic powder.
Black Bean Burger Recipe
Black Bean Burger recipe is both delicious and satisfying. NOTHING like the store-bought burgers in frozen section. Will be a new favorite!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 burgers
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
- quinoa and water to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. About 15-20 mins.
- Mash the remaining black beans with the back of a fork.
- In a small saute skillet, add 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add the corn, chopped spinach, cumin and salt. Saute for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, panko, sauteed mixture. Add the hot sauce, egg and black beans. Mix until well combined. Form 4 black bean mixture patties.
- In a large saute pan or cast iron skillet, add the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the black bean patties to the oil and cook until heated through for about 2-3 minutes per side.
I didn’t have garlic powder on hand so I just used 3 fresh crushed garlic cloves, which worked just fine.