Quinoa Burger – Originally intended as a new vegetarian option, this quinoa burger is so good that I now find myself making it almost weekly. I think it also has to be the one of the easiest veggie burger recipes ever.
We Love Healthy Burgers Around Here!
Making a burger is an easy go-to around our home. We are always feeding our growing kids and find that it’s much easier to make a quick burger with whole grains like quinoa. Then, we add in a load of vegetables to boost their nutrients and in less than 20 minutes, dinner is ready.
Although I think my Black Bean Burger with lime-soaked chia seeds and walnut crumbs might still be my favorite meatless burger of all time, this one is much easier to make 😉
Secret to Making Quinoa
Starting with already cooked quinoa is definitely the secret to making this vegetable quinoa burger easily.
For what it is worth, the simplest and best way to cook quinoa is in a rice cooker. In fact, I cook ALL of my whole grains in my rice cooker. I use the organic unglazed VitaClay Rice Cooker. I like this brand because it doesn’t have the non-stick chemical coating that most rice cookers have. It’s also aluminum and lead-free. And it cooks quinoa and all other whole grains perfectly!
Add Flavor with Your Favorite Classic Burger Toppings
As for seasoning, I’ve intentionally kept the flavor of this quinoa burger recipe on the mild side. That way you can add flavor with your favorite classic burger toppings.
Try out some of my favorites include:
- Organic spinach
- Sliced tomatoes
- Ketchup, try our clean ketchup recipe
- Mayo, try our egg-free clean mayo OR use Primal Kitchen
- REAL pickles that are naturally fermented
Quinoa Burger recipe is simple to make, loaded with nutrients, gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian. Make this quinoa burger in 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup gluten free panko crumbs or gluten free bread crumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 organic egg
- 2 tablespoons
- GARNISH: Avocado, tomatoes, pickles and spinach
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the black eyed peas with a potato masher, making sure to leave a few chunks. Add the shallots, shredded carrots, panko crumbs, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Add the cooked quinoa and the egg and combine.
- Using clean hands, form the mixture into six individual patties and place on a large plate.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Reduce the heat to medium, place the patties in the pan, and cook until golden brown, about 5-minutes. Carefully flip and brown the other sides, about 5 minutes more.
- Assemble the burgers on buns on a platter. Top with your favorite toppings and serve.
Last Step! If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
To shred the carrots, place 1/2 cup chopped carrots in a mini food processor and pulse until shredded.
Keywords: Quinoa Burger
LOOKING FOR MORE CLEAN EATING DINNER RECIPES?
If you liked the Recipe for Quinoa Burger, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.
Wednesday 4th of April 2018
These are so easy and yummy. My young kids (6 and 3) love them. My 6-year old, who usually passes on veggie burgers, asked for seconds at dinner and asked for them as soon as he returned home from school the next day. I substituted yellow onion for shallots and added two leaves of fresh chopped basil. Thanks!!!!
Thursday 5th of April 2018
Hi Kimberly! YAY! So good to know that even the little guys liked it too! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know =)