A super easy black bean soup recipe, this is one I have been meaning to share with all of you for ages now.
When it comes to easy and speedy soup recipes, it just can’t be beat! It’s a black bean recipe I find myself going back to time and again, especially when it’s just me.
The recipe serves just two, but you can easily double or even triple the ingredients to serve more people. I just seem to make it as a lunch soup when I am home by myself.
Every time we travel I take a little notepad with me and jot down recipe ideas from various restaurants. This one was inspired by the most delicious black bean soup we had at a beachfront restaurant on our Caribbean vacation a while back.
Although the lunch setting was beautiful beyond words, I still remember sweating as we waited for our food to arrive. I normally would not order soup on a sweltering hot day, but the menu said it was a Chilled Caribbean Style Black Bean Soup. And it totally hit the spot! It was both refreshing and satisfying at the same time.
At home, I serve it either hot or cold, but more often than not I actually prefer it warm now that I am back home. Even though home is sweltering hot south Florida. Go figure 😉
This super speedy and easy Black Bean Soup recipe has a Caribbean twist. It’s delicious served hot or cold.
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pink Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- 1 box (15 ounces) frozen pureed butternut squash, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) BPA-free canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Heat the oil in a heavy medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cumin and season with salt to taste.
- Add the frozen butternut squash and saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth. Bring soup to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 3 minutes to let flavors blend. Add in cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt to taste. Use a hand held stick blender to process until smooth and creamy. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 2