Honey Mustard Recipe – Swap your store-bought honey mustard for our healthy, cleaned up Honey Mustard Recipe! Unlike the conventional version, our Honey Mustard Recipe is free of refined-sugar, dyes, and gums.
Instead, we made our recipe using simple ingredients from whole food sources! Homemade and healthy for you, this recipe is also super quick and easy to make. Try it out, and you may never want to buy store-bought or restaurant-made honey mustard again!
Honey Mustard Recipe
Honey mustard is an absolute staple in our house. From a chicken nugget dip, to an easy salad dressing, and even a fun spread for sandwiches or wraps, this tasty condiment is a must-have!
This Honey Mustard Recipe is a revamp of one of those “back in the day” condiments I have always loved, but stopped eating when I cleaned up my diet years ago.
The kind of honey mustard I loved back then was nothing fancy, and it certainly wasn’t gourmet. Rather, it was the rich, creamy and sweet type. The kind you might find at Outback Steakhouse.
Because I have always loved this type of honey mustard so much, I decided to make a Honey Mustard Recipe of my own! And if I’m being honest, my Honey Mustard Recipe far surpasses the flavor of any honey mustard I have tried up to this point. Not only does it offer incredible flavor, but its also thick and creamy, without any of the additives! This is due to a special vegan ingredient that yields a creamy texture, without the need for gums or emulsifiers.
So if you want to learn how to make honey mustard from home, keep reading!
Honey Mustard Ingredients
To be honest, I use to not know what ingredients went into making honey mustard. However, I had a hunch they probably were not super clean, which turned out to be correct! From dyes, to refined sugar, and even emulsifiers, conventional honey mustard is far from a health food.
It wasn’t until I was making our Healthy Recipe for Chicken Nuggets that I realized I would need to come up with a healthy honey mustard sauce too. You just simply cannot have chicken nuggets without honey mustard sauce!
Not only did I get a delicious chicken nugget recipe out of this venture, but I also got a delicious Honey Mustard Recipe as well! What a win!
So what ingredients does it take to make this clean and simple Recipe for Honey Mustard? Let’s take a look at the main ingredients…
- Cashews: Earlier we mentioned our “secret vegan ingredient” that makes this recipe thick and creamy, without the need for gums or emulsifiers. This “secret ingredient” is actually cashews! While this is an incredibly common ingredient, it is one that many people don’t recognize the versatility of. Cashews when blended make for the creamiest texture, with a neutral flavor that is delicious both sweet, or savory! The cashews not only added creaminess, but also a good source of plant-protein, antioxidants and phytonutrients. They’re the base of this recipe, and a must-have in a dairy-free kitchen.
- Dates: Dates blend beautifully in sauce and dressing recipes, offering a sweet flavor to this Recipe for Honey Mustard. By incorporating pureed dates, you can achieve the same level of sweetness as you’d expect from a conventional honey mustard sauce, but with the addition of a nice fiber and nutrient boost, along with more phytonutrients and antioxidants. Use Deglet dates for a milder sweetness, and Medjool dates for a sweeter flavor!
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon helps to add the mustard flavor to this Honey Mustard Recipe. While not homemade, there are some great brands out there these days that offer rather clean ingredients.
- Lemon Juice: The lemon juice in this recipe offers a tangy and fresh flavor. It really helps join all of the flavors together to create a perfectly balanced honey mustard!
- Raw Honey: What’s honey mustard without honey? We use raw honey in this recipe for lots of nutrients! Want to use the most nutrient-dense honey? While a bit more of a cost, manuka honey is the best of the best!
That’s it! Simply, easily-sourced ingredients, totally clean and healthy!
Ways to Use this Recipe for Honey Mustard
Like mentioned above, we use honey mustard in so many different ways! From traditionally use on chicken nuggets, to salad dressings, the numerous uses for honey mustard make this recipe one you’ll want to keep prepped and ready in your fridge at all times!
Here are some of our favorite recipes to enjoy alongside this Honey Mustard Recipe…
Recipe for Chicken Nuggets: Recipe for Chicken Nuggets are delicious enough that the whole family will love them. Plus, our recipe for chicken nuggets is gluten free!
Healthy Turkey Burgers Recipe: Healthy Turkey Burgers recipe made with minced shiitake mushrooms is tastier and considerably more moist than a plain turkey burger.
Kale Salad: Filled with fruit, nuts, seeds, and drizzled with a tasty homemade balsamic vinaigrette, this Kale Salad will leave you filled and satiated. Simply swap the balsamic dressing for Honey Mustard!
More Staple Dips, Spreads, and Dressings
Like we said, clean Honey Mustard is a staple in our fridge! Here are a few other staple dressings, dips, and spreads we simply can’t live without…
Vegan Mayo: Vegan Mayo recipe that is an Egg Free Mayo tastes just like Hellman’s without the refined oils or pasteurized eggs. Your family will love it!
Dairy Free Sour Cream: Dairy Free Sour Cream is incredibly rich and smooth, and with just the right amount of tart and tang! Made with cashews or macadamia nuts.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe: Delicious, dairy-free Clean Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe owes it’s rich and creamy texture to pureed cashews and hemp seeds.
The BEST Hummus Recipe: The BEST Hummus recipe is savory and delicious. It’s made with hemp seeds for a mega nutrition boost that does not alter the hummus flavor.
Strawberry Sauce Recipe: Fresh Strawberry Sauce recipe is super easy to make and has no refined sugar. It is delicious on whole grain pancakes, waffles, crepes, or even as a jam for biscuits!
Now since you know everything about our Honey Mustard Recipe, let’s get into exactly how to make it from home!
Honey Mustard Recipe
Swap your store-bought honey mustard for our healthy, cleaned up Honey Mustard Recipe! Unlike the conventional version, our Honey Mustard Recipe is free of refined-sugar, dyes, and gums.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Place all ingredients in a and process for 10 seconds.
- Open the lid, stir the ingredients and process again.
- Repeat until honey mustard sauce is creamy and ingredients are well blended.
The addition of fresh thyme will give your honey mustard sauce a more gourmet and “grown up” taste, but it is a totally optional ingredient.
Keywords: Honey Mustard Recipe