Moist, chewy and SO delicious, these gluten and dairy free brownies are made with cassava flour. They are free of refined sugar.
- 1/3 cup cassava flour (if you are not gluten free, see notes below)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cacao powder (such as Navitas Naturals brand)
- 1/8 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3 organic (pasture raised eggs (such as Vital Farms))
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup organic (extra virgin coconut oil)
- 10 medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped raw walnuts or raw pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly oil the sides of an 8 x 8 -inch baking dish and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder and salt. Set mixture aside.
- To a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix) add the eggs, applesauce, oil, dates, vanilla and syrup. Process on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well to combine. Stir in the nuts. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 33 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Brownies are best served warm.
If you are NOT gluten free, feel free to substitute whole wheat flour or sprouted spelt flour for the cassava flour.