Thanks to a little known ancient grain, sorghum, this 100% whole grain gluten free pancake recipe tastes and looks like “regular” pancakes. If you have not yet heard of super nutritious and whole grain sorghum flour, keep your eyes peeled….I have a feeling this is going to be a hot baking ingredient in the very near future.
Sorghum actually is nothing new, it originated in Africa thousands of years ago, but for whatever reason this grain has never totally taken off here in the United States. At least not in conventional cooking circles. However, I think sorghum—like quinoa— absolutely has the potential to be mainstream. Not only is sorghum a great source of plant protein, fiber, calcium and iron, it’s also surprisingly rich in antioxidants. Plus, sorghum flour is an incredibly versatile whole grain that churns out delightful gluten free cookies, cakes, breads and pizzas. It has a mild, sweet flavor, so its the perfect healthful whole grain for sweeter recipes.
In addition to the sorghum flour, this gluten free pancake recipe is also made with cooked brown rice, so it’s a great breakfast recipe for using up leftover rice. If you don’t have brown rice made and aren’t up for making it, you can always pick up a small pint from just about any Chinese restaurant.
As for what to pour on top of your pancakes, my suggestion is orange-honey “syrup”. To make the syrup, simply add 1/3 cup raw honey and 3 tablespoons orange juice in a saucepan, heat over low heat for about 5 minutes, whisking constantly. You can then pour the “syrup” on top of your pancakes. And don’t forget to add fruit.
Voila! Breakfast is served…Print
Gluten Free Pancake Recipe with Sorghum Flour
- Yield: 4 1x
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 3 tablespoons white chia seeds (black chia seeds will also work)
- 2 whole pastured eggs plus 1 egg white (separated (I like Vital Farms pastured eggs))
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil (melted (such as Barlean’s))
- 5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the sorghum flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chia seeds.
- In a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix), add the 2 egg yolks, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, brown rice and water. Process until smooth and creamy. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry.
- Add the 3 egg whites to the Vitamix and whip until light and fluffy. Carefully fold the whipped egg whites in with the pancake batter.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a heavy skillet and heat over medium heat. When the skillet surface is hot, ladle 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook until small bubbles start to form, then flip the pancakes and continue cooking for about 1 1/2 minutes, or until golden.
I realize the 5 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract called for in the recipe may seem like a lot, but trust me, it works!
Check Out More Clean Cuisine Recipes (including Flourless Blueberry Pancakes!) HERE.