Garlicky Hummus – Garlicky Hummus is a very creamy, delicious and nutritious hummus that’s perfect for vegetables and crackers. Loaded with healthful flavors.
This Garlicky Hummus with avocados and steamed kale is a healthier, tastier twist on the classic appetizer.
A Greener and Healthier Garlicky Hummus – the Perfect Appetizer
Hummus of any sort is always a healthy choice. However, this “Clean Cuisine” Green Garlicky Hummus is ultra healthy because of the garlic and kale ingredients. Dark leafy green kale is a superior source of phytonutrients, vitamins and antioxidants.
But, this garlicky hummus recipe is also oil-free, but loaded with flavor. The rich and creamy texture comes from cashews and mashed avocado.
Although there is nothing wrong with using certain oils such as extra virgin olive oil or omega-3 rich flax oil. Or, hemp oil it is always optimal to get your fats in “whole” form from nuts, seeds, avocados, etc.
Boost Digestibility of this Garlicky Hummus by Pre-Soaking the Cashews:
If you want to really boost the nutrition of your Garlicky Kale Hummus up a notch further try soaking the cashews in water for 1 or 2 hours. Soaking nuts–seeds too!– in water improves their digestibility and increases their overall nutritional profile.
Best Ways to Serve this Garlicky Hummus:
Another great way to serve this recipe is using scrumptious on toasted gluten free crostini made with brown rice flour.
To make this whole grain crostini, use kitchen shears to remove the crusts from 4 or 5 slices of sprouted whole grain bread. Cut the bread diagonally, forming triangles. Use a small basting brush and lightly brush the tops of each piece of bread with extra virgin olive oil. Season bread with salt. Place bread triangles in a 400 degree oven and toast for 10 to 12 minutes, until brown and crispy. Remove from oven and spread with the Garlicky Hummus. See the recipe below.
This recipe is also incredible when spread on a grilled Portobello and dusted with Basil Pine Nut Crumble (to make the crumble just put ¼ cup fresh basil and ¼ cup pine nuts in a mini food processor and process into crumbs.)
More Recipes to Boost your Garlic Intake:
We absolutely love recipes loaded with garlic. Garlic consumption is so important for overall heart health. Something that America should definitely get on board with. In Italy and Korea they consumed a garlic-rich diet by consuming 8-12 cloves per day. However, research shows about 10 grams of garlic a day (about 3 or 4 cloves) will give you significant health benefits.
- Garlicky Green Beans Recipe
- Dairy Free Garlic Spread Recipe
- Garlic Sauce for Chicken, Shrimp and Mediterranean Bowls
- Tabbouleh with Quinoa
- Salmon Burgers Recipe
Choose the Healthiest Garlic — Click here.
Garlicky Hummus is a very creamy, delicious and nutritious hummus that’s perfect for vegetables and crackers. Loaded with healthful flavors.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Hummus
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
- 4 cups kale, stems and ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic
- 1 – 15 ounces organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup avocado, mashed
- OPTIONAL: chopped chives, fresh cilantro
- Fill the bottom of a steamer with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Add kale to the steamer basket and cover. Steam for 5 minutes, or until very soft. Remove kale from steamer basket and set aside to cool. Pat dry to remove any excess moisture.
- To a high speed blender, add the water, cashews and garlic in a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Then, to the cashew and garlic mixture, add the garbanzo beans, steamed kale, lemon juice, cumin and salt to taste. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the garlicky hummus into a large bowl and add the mashed avocado. Top with sea salt, chopped chives and fresh cilantro.
Garlicky Kale Hummus will keep for 3 days if stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Garlicky Hummus