Creative Uses for Garlic Spread:
- As a dip for raw veggies
- On top of baked potatoes
- As a spread for baked chicken (spread the garlic on chicken thighs and roast at 375 degrees for about 18 minutes)
- Smothered on sprouted whole grain toast
- Diluted with a bit of water and used as a sauce for whole grain pasta
- Pureed into soups (add a dollop of garlic puree at the end of cooking and use a handheld stick blender to puree)
- As a side to sunny-side up eggs
- Mixed with oil, Dijon mustard and Lemon juice as a rich and creamy vinaigrette for salad
Health-Boosting Garlic Spread RecipeFor health reasons, I actually make it a point to eat garlic every single day. The benefits of garlic have been known for centuries, but you need to consume enough quantity to really make a difference. In such countries as Italy, Korea and China, where a garlic-rich diet seems to be protective against disease, per capita consumption is as high as eight to 12 cloves per day. However, research shows about 10 grams of garlic a day (about 3 or 4 cloves) will give you significant health benefits. One thing is for sure, you’ll have no problem reaching the 3 or 4 daily garlic clove quota with this garlic spread recipe! The recipe contains a whopping 1 1/2 cups of garlic cloves.
And This Spread is Dairy Free…Most garlic butter spread recipes are made with dairy (either butter or cream.) Store bought garlic spreads are the worst of all! They are almost always made with highly refined pro-inflammatory oils along with a number of additives. Adding a bunch of butter, highly refined oils and additives to your garlic spread cancels out the health benefits of eating garlic in the first place. This recipe is dairy free and has not a single unhealthy ingredient. You can add a heaping tablespoon to anything with #NoRegrets =)
What to Do About “Garlic Breath”?Eating all that garlic might be healthy, but what do you do to keep your friends and family from having to endure the much maligned “garlic breath”. Unfortunately, the sulphuric compounds that give garlic their health benefits and taste also give people an unpleasant odor which is known as ‘garlic breath’. Good news!
A Fresh and Tasty Remedy for Garlic BreathGarlic spread lovers will be happy to know a study from Ohio State University shows reveals an easy (and tasty!) remedy for eliminating garlic breath. Apparently a chemical found in raw apples, mint and lettuce can destroy the volatile compounds that cause smelly breath after eating garlic. So spread away with your garlic recipe, but just be sure to have some apples, mint or lettuce after 😉
Pin this graphic for later!
Dairy Free Garlic Spread Recipe
This dairy free garlic spread recipe is not only incredibly healthful, it does wonders for boosting the flavor of everything from baked potatoes to sprouted whole grain bread. You can even use it as a dip for raw veggies!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 3 /4 cup 1x
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a small casserole dish, combine the garlic, thyme, lemon juice, bay leaf, salt and olive oil. Cover and braise in the oven until the garlic is very tender, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic cloves to a mini food processor and puree until smooth. You will have about 3/4 cup of garlic puree. Put it on everything! =)