I think this decadent applesauce recipe just might be one of my proudest inventions. And, I suppose, a very good example of the vast array of culinary creations that can be made using simple everyday ingredients. And yes, I do realize the words decadent and applesauce are not typically used together, but this applesauce recipe actually does taste indulgent. Although I originally created it as a breakfast dish, it can most definitely be served as a dessert. If there was such a thing as apple pudding (and maybe there is?), then you could call it that and serve it for dessert. I am pretty sure a dollop of coconut whipped cream on top might taste amazing (wink.)When you read the directions for the recipe, you will see I use the same simple cooking technique used to make any conventional applesauce recipe. The three things that make this applesauce recipe different are; 1) grating the apples provides a more delicate, pudding-like texture, 2) the coconut milk makes it super rich and creamy and 3) the chia seed stir-in at the end gives it a delightful tapioca-like quality (along with a nice omega-3 and fiber booster!) But don’t take my word for it. You’ll have to try the recipe for yourself!
Applesauce Recipe with Cinnamon, Vanilla and Chia Seeds
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 Granny Smith apples (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional)
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Optional: chopped walnuts and raisins (for garnish)
- Put the coconut milk, grated apples, vanilla, cinnamon and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples are soft and liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add in the maple syrup (if using) and a pinch of sea salt.
- Remove the applesauce from the heat and stir in the chia seeds. Let applesauce sit for 5 minutes for chia seeds to thicken. Garnish with chopped walnuts and raisins if desired. Enjoy warm or cold.
Last Step!If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Tuesday 9th of February 2021
I just LOVED this applesauce and so did our kids. Thank you, thank you, thank you.